+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Adobe CS6 does not support VDI!!! in Technical; Just to let everyone know that Adobe CS6 does not support VDI. Spoke to adobe support and their official statement ...

Thank Post

Adobe CS6 does not support VDI!!!

Just to let everyone know that Adobe CS6 does not support VDI. Spoke to adobe support and their official statement is that VDI is not compatible with CS6 and they currently have no timescales to make this work. If we had known earlier we wouldn't have renewed our maintenance plan this year. Definatley won't be renewing next year unless they get this sorted. Come on Adobe, all you need is a network server licensing application similar to Sibelius and KMS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest - personally i wouldn't want to run it over VDI as its very intensive software!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest - personally i wouldn't want to run it over VDI as its very intensive software!
    My old company run it on about 50 VDI's and didnt have any issues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    My old company run it on about 50 VDI's and didnt have any issues.
    I'd guess they would be fixed VDI machines - as these would have a fixed PC name, and there wouldn't be any need for license re-authing itself (ie. they aren't dynamically created on demand), whereas the OP is referring to the system schools would have in place where the machines are created on the fly?

Also, that's a very quick purchasing company, as it only came out at the end of April!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd guess they would be fixed VDI machines - as these would have a fixed PC name, and there wouldn't be any need for license re-authing itself (ie. they aren't dynamically created on demand), whereas the OP is referring to the system schools would have in place where the machines are created on the fly?

Also, that's a very quick purchasing company, as it only came out at the end of April!
    I was talking about it being intensive

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I was talking about it being intensive
    The problem is the licensing, not the intensiveness of it I don't think - to CS6, the system is just another desktop PC.

However, CS6 does allows GPU offload, and if its running on a VDI it can't do this, therefore it could potentially hammer your servers.

Thank Post
    Agree with FN-GM. We are currently using CS5.5 which works fine although Photoshop takes about 30 seconds to load due to the streaming app size but once loaded works fine and is faster at rendering etc than a standard desktop machine. We have the Teradici APEX 2800 GPU Offload cards so altough CS6 identifies that the new GPU features are not supported and disables them the cards will take the load of the server CPU's.

I can make CS6 work using one of the many licensing hacks which exist on the internet but shouldn't have to consider illegally modifying the software to make it work. Adobe's attempt to secure their CS6 products from being used illegally does not work (based on the hacks which I have found) and just causes more of a headache for it's end users. More and more schools and business users are going down the VDI route and I feel that Adobe should be keeping up with this development to sell more of their products. They need to either add extra functionality to AAMEE or build a licensing app for a server to manage.

Our recommendation to students for September will be to not buy and install CS6 products as they will not be compatible with the versions on our network and instead to buy Serif products which, although lacking in comparison, are compatible with our software. If support to get CS6 working in VDI is not forthcoming in the next few months we will be abanding the Adobe annual maintenance renewal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread