+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Client Setup list in Technical; Now i've read through a few of the posts on here as i have no idea about thin clients etc ...

Thank Post

Thin Client Setup list

Now i've read through a few of the posts on here as i have no idea about thin clients etc but our HM has seen it running at another school and likes the idea. He likes the idea of small boxes on desktops and that we might be able to make the older pc's run a few years more.

But i'm trying to get together a rough price list and hardware list to show him. From what i can work out we'll need is;

Beefy server with plenty of RAM 3kish
    20 Thin Clients £150ish
    Licensing for older pcs?
    Re-cable IT suite with CAT5e rather than current Cat5

Are there any other extra cost's i've missed or have i got the idea completely wrong?

Thank Post

Re: Thin Client Setup list

Not really needing the recable, but decent switches are a must.

Thank Post

The only reason i put cabling in there was due to the fact the main IT suite is running old Cat5 cable rather than Cat5e which is listed as a requirement on most of the site's i've seen. Or are they just doing that cause it's industry standard now?

I'd look at replacing the current Netgear switches with HP ones as everyone raves about them, and the Netgears are a good 4 years old now too so about time for replacement.

Thank Post

If you want gigabit to the desktop then you need cat5e. If not don't bother. It would be a waste of money.

Thank Post

And you certainly don't need Gigabit to the desktop for the thin client. Not much data at all is sent back and fore. You do need a good connection between the terminal server (s) and your other servers though. Preferably at least a gigabit.

Standard cat 5 cabling should be fine - we are running a mixture of old cat5 and new cat5e and to be honest there is no difference at 100mbit/s.

Each thin client needs a Terminal Server Client Access Licence (about £8 each).

Andrew

Thank Post

Ok scratch the cabling and add in TS CALs which is cheaper anyway lol...

Thank Post

Ok i've booked my self to go see a local school who are using thin clients to see there setup.

I guess what i'm after now is horror storys or yes it's wonderful we should have done it sooner. Admittely it will be an experiment in one room to see how things go but i've got to make the decision between spending 10k on this or 10k on normal pc's.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81
    Ok i've booked my self to go see a local school who are using thin clients to see there setup.

I guess what i'm after now is horror storys or yes it's wonderful we should have done it sooner. Admittely it will be an experiment in one room to see how things go but i've got to make the decision between spending 10k on this or 10k on normal pc's.
    lol, experimenting would have been good here. We're jumping in to it. We've bought 100 thin clients and 2 beefy servers to handle them. I'm hoping it works as expected otherwise i might be looking for another job!

Thank Post

Braver than me thats for sure lol... what kind of software and hardware have you bought? Pricing, suppliers etc? Sorry for asking so many q's but dont want to get it wrong when one of our SMT is looking for a way to get rid of me lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We've bought 100 thin clients and 2 beefy servers to handle them.
    50:1 is a bit high. Especially with no redundancy. I'd go 30:1 max or plan 20:1 then the site should still run if you loose a server.

Thank Post

One thing how will this intergrate into the current domain, secuirty etc. Can i just run it as a SDC and use all the same settings?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

One thing how will this intergrate into the current domain, secuirty etc. Can i just run it as a SDC and use all the same settings?
    Software/GPO-wise, treat it the same way as your desktop PCs.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    We've bought 100 thin clients and 2 beefy servers to handle them.
    50:1 is a bit high. Especially with no redundancy. I'd go 30:1 max or plan 20:1 then the site should still run if you loose a server.
    I know 50:1 is a bit high, i was only expecting it to be 30:1 to start with and then slowly phase more in, and increase servers if needed. They are both 2xIntel Xeon 3GHz Dual Core, 4GB Ram. SLT tend to make the decisions without asking though.

@Dave.81 we bought HP DL380 servers and HP thin clients. SW wise we're just getting TS licenses and office licenses. The TC's will only be used for basic MS office / web browsing, maybe some maths software called headstart (anybody got experience of this over thin client?). I've explained to SLT that we may need to look at citrix or buy more servers within the first 3-4 months depending on the workload. It's so hard to judge in advance as every situation is different. I've had people suggest that 40:1 would be fine, MS whitepapers say 100:1 (or similar). I think for us its a case of suck-it and see.

Thank Post

A lot of the scaling docs out there are based around corporate usage. ICT in schools is the most hostile environment to deploy thin client and is way away from the coporate usage models used to write the white papers. Work on a 30:1 ratio on a server that has

Dual Procs (Dual Dual core is best)
    4 GB RAM
    Disk requirement is small (centrally hold you TS profiles)

Due to the packages running in modern schools you are more likely to become processor bound than run out of memory. More procs is good. Over 4 GB RAM is not the best way to go.

Our recommendation would be to look at Sun Ray and SGD should you want to invest further in thin client. However the Citrix route is also perfectly viable.

The danger of trying to run too many users off each box is that the thin clients will get bad press. It is not a fault of thin client computing, just under provisioning. It may set your cause back a long way if the end users experience suffers by trying to do too much with too little.

----------------------------------------------
    As I am my employer these comments do reflect the views of my employer

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Software/GPO-wise, treat it the same way as your desktop PCs.
    I would suggest that this depends on your current environment. If you are running RM, Viglen or Ranger etc, some GPO’s may cause issues. Profiles can also sometimes be problematic and you will certainly want make sure the shutdown computer option is removed or disabled which is not always the case on "desktop PCs"

I usually spend some time with a client, going through their current configuration, looking at the GPO’s etc, then configure a separate GPO, Terminal Server profiles and create scripts to meet the exact requirement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast