+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Client Setup list in Technical; I would suggest that this depends on your current environment. If you are running RM, Viglen or Ranger etc, some ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Thin Client Setup list

I would suggest that this depends on your current environment. If you are running RM, Viglen or Ranger etc, some GPO’s may cause issues.
    True, I was presuming a vanilla system.

Profiles can also sometimes be problematic
    Indeed, we've discussed this before.

you will certainly want make sure the shutdown computer option is removed or disabled which is not always the case on "desktop PCs"
    Yes, I forgot about this too. Citrix does this 'automagically' by setting the options in the local security policy during installation. Amongst other things.

Thank Post

After a lot of research over the past few days i'm starting to think this isn't the way forward for our school. I've spoken to a couple of schools that have had problems doing the DIDA course on thin clients and seen we have a large take-up of that in college not sure it's a good way togo.

Also not running a vanilla system at the moment this could then cause more issue with GPO's etc. Seems a lot of my time would be spent this summer doing this over other important things. Think it will be best to leave it for now and look again in the future.

Thanks for all your advice though guys it was very helpful

Thank Post

I wouldn't rule it out altogether though Dave. Thin client is a viable option if deployed effectively and it is understood that (at the moment) it will never be able to cope with the diverse software demands required in an educational environment.

I am seeing an increasing amount of interest in thin clients, particularly for school administration where there is often a separate network, security policies are less of an issue and the software demands are more realistic.

Also RDP is a remote access protocol and opening port 3389 to the Terminal Server(s) offers very cost effective (free) remote access solution for staff, providing the same desktop/environment they currently have in school, from home.

Thank Post

It's not off the list completely... it will be looked again for next year to see how it has improved.

I do agree that for the Administration side it would be ideal but we run one network for the entire school so no real benifit at the moment.

Yes the RDP is a wonderful tool but as we already offer all staff and pupils access to their work from home, all be it not same desktop etc, we'd not gain anything from that either lol...

As for this summer it's off the list but that doesn't mean it wont fit our needs next year, although it would have been nice buying a new server to add to my growing collection :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12