+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Multipoint Server 2011 ncomputing L300 - Few little teething issues in Technical; Hi guys, Recently setup a small 15 client ICT Suite with Windows Multipoint Server 2011. I used LG Network Monitors ...

Thank Post

Multipoint Server 2011 ncomputing L300 - Few little teething issues

Hi guys,

Recently setup a small 15 client ICT Suite with Windows Multipoint Server 2011. I used LG Network Monitors that have the built in Ncomputing L300 zero client.

This is the first time I have setup Multipoint Server so have a few little teething issues that I would appreciate some help with.

1. I have joined the Multipoint Server machine to the domain. When a user visits a client, they press on connect and are greeted with the Windows Multipoint Server logon box. The school domain is called SCHOOL, so the user just types in a username such as year5 and logins in. On two clients however the login domain name is set as MULTIPOINT1 which is the name of the multipoint server rather then SCHOOL which is the name of the domain. This means the users are not able to login unless they click on other user and then, put the domain name in front of there username, such as SCHOOL\year5. I don't understand why these two clients differ from the others? How can I set them to be the same as the others?

2. I am not able to update the firmware. I click on update firmware on the Vspace Server installed on the Multipoint Server client but nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to do this from a client if so how?

3. Occasionally the clients just seem to drop connection to the server. I can log back in straight away and everything works as expected but this is annoying and something the staff and pupils would struggle with. Any ideas why this should be happening? The whole suite is using a gigabit switch and the server is an i7-2600, 16Gb Ram, 120Gb SSD etc.

Thanks for any assistance.
    cm786

Thank Post
    Does a standard W7 PC connect OK (RDP) - that should let you know if its the server or client at fault...

Thank Post
    Hi
    On the LG the firmware is only 1.0.0.1 and so the latest vspace does not interact well and will not upgrade the firmware. Profiles are not shipped out form the console correctly either - The fix was to install vspace 4.9 on an xp box and upgrade to firmware 1.3 and only then would the server 2008 r2 correctly interact with them. Hope this makes sense - If you need further help get back to me I work for NComputing although not technical as such and will do my best to help if I can

4. 2 Thanks to Tharris:

CM786 (30th April 2012), plexer (30th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks I will give that a go to upgrade the firmware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    @CM786 please report back when you have done this.

Ben

Thank Post
    1. I have joined the Multipoint Server machine to the domain.
    -- Try logging onto the host with the desired machine name, or domain name as is your case. Many times, the client seats cache the domain/machine name from the host.

2. I am not able to update the firmware. I click on update firmware on the Vspace Server installed on the Multipoint Server client but nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to do this from a client if so how?
    -- You should be able to update firmware from the host. Technically it is sending a 'get request' to the L300 which in turn retrieves the firmware update from the nearest vSpace host. You can certainly try it from the L300 directly and that is probably better in this due to the fact that if there is an error message or inability to update, it will display the results on the device screen which does NOT happen when updating from the console. I'm assuming that the devices are in the same subnet as the host, if that is not the case then you will need to put them in the same subnet or VLAN to do the updates. If you're on firmware v1.0 or newer, you can also update from an ftp server. Current vSpace software is v6.6, firmware is v1.6 for WMS 2011.

3. Occasionally the clients just seem to drop connection to the server. I can log back in straight away and everything works as expected but this is annoying and something the staff and pupils would struggle with. Any ideas why this should be happening? The whole suite is using a gigabit switch and the server is an i7-2600, 16Gb Ram, 120Gb SSD etc.
    -- You need to get on the latest firmware update. Some of the earlier firmware versions exhibited this behavior. Once you're updated this should be greatly reduced if not eliminated all together.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread