+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, How to partition my Hyper-V in Technical; I am using hyper-V to set up a virtualization server with an aim virtualise my servers. It's a HP DL385 ...
    Thank Post

How to partition my Hyper-V

I am using hyper-V to set up a virtualization server with an aim virtualise my servers.

It's a HP DL385 G7 with 2 16 core AMD's (32 cores!!) and 32gig Ram, the drives I have are 4 160GB SFF drives 3 questions:

1. How many servers do you think this will run, DNS, TMG, AD, AV-Server etc?
    2. How would you partiton the drives, would you raid the lot, 2 mirrors, or 1 mirror and 1 larger logical drive?
    3. Say don't do that, use it for something else you maniac!

Cheers

Thank Post
    What is the speed of your drives?

We have a pair of HP 165 G7s with a single 8 core CPU - it runs at less than 20% cpu usage most of the times so the 32 cores would be a bit of overkill (although we are looking at one of them to expand our VDI server side kit).
    Last edited by jamesfed; 14th March 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Nice spec on the server. Shame about the storage!!!

CPU wise if your only running light load servers such as "DNS, TMG, AD, AV-Server" (i.e no terminal servers or SQL servers) then you could probably get away with 1 core per VM, so up to 32 VMs. I would start off with 1 core per VM and then see how it goes, if you identify a VM that uses a lot of CPU add another core (or 3).

RAM will be your limiting factor, based on 4GB per VM you can run 8 servers maybe 9 at a pinch.

One thing I would say is if your thinking of using 2 x mirrors with only 4 x 160gb drives you'd better have pretty empty servers to virtualise as that aint much space!! With only 4 drives, i'd go Raid 5 so you'll end up with 480GB of reasonably realiable, reasonably fast storage.

Remember, each AMD core is far slower than an intel one, so 32 x AMD cores is about equal to 12 x physical Intel cores (plus hyperthreading).
    Last edited by AButters; 14th March 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thank Post
    The Drives we ordered to kick the system off (they are 7200rpm) with a view to adding larger capacity ones later when budgets allow.

Thank Post
    Some on here might say that 4x7,200 rpm drives would be ok (and to some degree I would agree in that we have a simlar setup) however after spending so much money on the server (in the CPUs ect) it is a shame not to see a few 300GB 15k drives in there for OS partitions of your servers.

Personaly I see it as-
    SSD - Expensive but perfect for OS
    10/15k - Use for OS partitions only
    7,200 - Use for data partitions only

Anywhos I would put the drives in a RAID5 array (max storage that way with redundancy) - assign 40 GB to the Hyper-V OS partition (could get away with a little less if you use server core/hyper-v server) and then the rest to your VMs.

We quite hapily run 6 VMs on a server with those kinds of drives but you should look to get some faster drives.
    The CPU and RAM arn't going to be the bottleneck in this case.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping the drives are SAS, they are going to be your biggest bottleneck by far so running something like exchange or a DB server on there is going to kill performance and most of the space. For lite stuff you should be good for 8 or so but running anything with more substantial you'll probably be hitting disk IO limits. It all depends on the kind of load it will be running.

Thank Post
    I was going to initially put in some bigger faster drives and SSD for the OS but it is a HP server so I had to get HP drives. I did not want to take the chance that non HP drives would screw it up, HP SSD's are fortunes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread