+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V Backup in Technical; Hi All, Currently using Backup Exec 10 r3 with remote agents installed on our virtual servers performing backup to disk, ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V Backup

Hi All,

Currently using Backup Exec 10 r3 with remote agents installed on our virtual servers performing backup to disk, NAS and tape.

With the move to Hyper-V we now are looking at the Hyper-V agent in Backup Exec to backup the Hyper-V host rather than using the remote agents installed at the VM level.

Looking for advice on Hyper-V backups, we have SQL 2008, Exchange 2003/2010.

Paul
    Last edited by Eben; 9th March 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Take a look at Veeam for Hyper-V. I've had all sorts of trouble with Backup Exec (2010R3 here) and I'd rather not depend on it to get my virtual machines backed up. I'm using Veeam with VMware and it's excellent. Ideally I'd like to move to a completely virtualised environment, use Veeam to back up all the machines and files, then just use Backup Exec to grab application-aware (AD, Exchange, SQL) backups - although I think Veeam will eventually have this feature too.

Chris

Thank Post
    Hi there,

We use Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 - works great for backing up our Hyper V hosts and VMs. Also if you have an EES licensing agreement with Microsoft it's included (so free!)

Good luck with it

R

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I looked at DPM but it had to have a physical disk allocated to it. I ended up going with VMWare Backup & Replication - ESX Backup - VM Backup | ShadowProtect Virtual which was pretty reasonable and backs up to a network share which i couldnt get DPM to do.

Thank Post
    You will need to migrate to Backup Exec 2012 - VRay Edition to backup your Hyper-V Hosts and VM's from the same console.

Veem for Hyper-V whilst looking good still doesnt support backing up the physical host which means that you still need two solutions if you want belt n braces.

I personally think Symantec have got it all wrong (again) with 2012, it's my bigest single nightmare at the moment, they have decided that existing users of BESR are "NOT" entitled to a genric cross grade and users of previous versions of Backup Exec V.X without valid maintenence will need to repurchase (no version upgrades offered).

However if your coming across from CA, DPM or almost anything else you do qualify for a competetive upgrade!

Basically if your a loyal existing Symantec Customer your back to square one.
    I have just been on line and ordered my NFR Copy and as soon as I have had a chance to put it onto our Hyper-V server and tested it on our CSV I will report back.

You can expect to pay upto 700 per host server for BE V-Ray Edition which is a bit steep if you have 3 and 4 node clusters like some of my sites!

I looked at the Veem offering for Hyper-V it looks promising but it could be a version or two away before it covers all bases.

Thank Post
    I didn't know it was included in the licensing. How do I go about getting it under EES?

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rpycroft View Post
    Hi there,

We use Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 - works great for backing up our Hyper V hosts and VMs. Also if you have an EES licensing agreement with Microsoft it's included (so free!)

Good luck with it

R

Thank Post
    You'll find that DPM (Standard and/or Enterprise) Licenses can be added to your EES (OVS-ES) in addition to the initial (Standard/Enterprise) Desktop Platform Product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Basically if your a loyal existing Symantec Customer your back to square one.
    Same as usual then?

Chris

Thank Post
    Looking at the SCDPM and SCVMM route as we can get this as part of our EES agreement. I have a new backup server with 7tb of 15k SAS drives for B2D. I am looking to configure the HyperV hosts with failover clustering and use SCVMM and test the Live-Migration feature.

Has anyone any experience running SCCM as a VM?

Thank Post
    Not done it yet, but we are planning on running SCVMM as a VM during the next couple of weeks as part of our Hyper-V installation.

I asked the same question during Microsoft's webcast, "System Centre 2012 - An Overview" last Tuesday, and one of the Guest Speakers (Richard Lane, I think) answered during the webcast stating that SCVMM can be installed as a VM, and that's how he installs it.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 13th March 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I looked at DPM but it had to have a physical disk allocated to it. I ended up going with VMWare Backup & Replication - ESX Backup - VM Backup | ShadowProtect Virtual which was pretty reasonable and backs up to a network share which i couldnt get DPM to do.
    Would iscsi disks not be enough?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My SAN is a fibre channel San and I wanted to run DPM as a VM. The server I am using for backups of the SAN is on another campus hence just backing up to a network share on that machine. Ive just installed Shadow Protect Virtual on the VMs, took 5 mins each and it was pretty cheap.

Thank Post
    Hi there, we have VMM installed on a virtual machine so yeah it can be done.

Cheers

Thank Post
    One word: Veeam.

Blimey... this is quite a thread resurrection.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread