+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Moving from Vmware to Hyper-v? in Technical; For the last few years been running our VMWare system based on several hosts each with the free VMWare ESXi4.1. ...
    Thank Post

Moving from Vmware to Hyper-v?

For the last few years been running our VMWare system based on several hosts each with the free VMWare ESXi4.1. No VSPhere or anything, the totally free version. (before anyone laughs, IMHO an excellent way for a school to reap 90% of the benefits of VMWare virtualisation at 0% the cost!!)

Looking at licencing it up on VmWare ESXi5 with the essentials licence (as the free version of 5 is totally castrated i.e 8GB ram limit etc) so can do more advanced things and also make VM Image backups much easier / automated maybe using something like Veem.

Before I take the plunge also got a beady eye on Hyper-V. We get all MS licences cheap as chips through our LEA so could be a much more cost effective route than VMWare.

From what I can see (and read) HyperV still seems to be a year or two behind vmware in terms of overall smoothness/polishedness / ease of use / features etc? BUT I have not yet set up a HyperV server to try so could be talking out my rear.

What do you guys and gals think. Anyone actually done the move?

Cheers
    Last edited by AButters; 8th March 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Thank Post
    We have been on Hyper-v for those reasons from the outset it does everything we need with ease but check out the features of HV3 as these will close the gap significantly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no memory overcommit in hyper-v : so if you use that in ESX you might find a need for more RAM in Hyper-v

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Linux KVM/Red Hat Enterprise Virtulisation - in terms to performance kicks Hyper-V's backside

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Ram limit is for virtual machines rather than the host isnt it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    as the free version of 5 is totally castrated i.e 8GB RAM limit
    VMware increased the limit to 32GB after a massive backlash from customers. By comparison, Hyper-V hosts have a limit of 1TB.

make VM Image backups much easier / automated maybe using something like Veeam.
    Veeam Backup & Replication is also available for Hyper-V. Hyper-V Backup from Altaro looks quite good too.

From what I can see (and read) Hyper-V still seems to be a year or two behind VMware in terms of overall smoothness/polishedness /ease of use/features etc.
    As m25man mentioned, Hyper-V R3 essentially closes that gap. It even has quite a few features ESXi 5 doesn't. For a school environment, I can't see any reason to go with VMware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The RAM limit is for virtual machines rather than the host isnt it?
    vSphere Hypervisor is limited to a maximum of 32GB of (physical) RAM. Previously, there was a 8GB vRAM limit.

While cores are not limited in vSphere 5 licensing the amount of RAM you provision to virtual machines, called vRAM, is limited. This is important to understand. You do NOT license the total physical RAM (called pRAM) in the cluster. You license the amount of RAM assigned to active virtual machines. If a VM is powered off it doesn’t count toward licensing. The vRAM included in the licenses is pooled across your vCenter instance. If you have 3 clusters managed by a vCenter instance then you can pool all of that and use it where needed, not just on the host or in the cluster where the socket license resides. That’s also very important to understand. If your DR site is managed by the same vCenter then you can use that DR vRAM licensing in your pool. (Source)
    How much vRAM does a VMware vSphere Hypervisor license provide?
    vSphere Hypervisor license provides a vRAM entitlement of 32GB per server, regardless of the number of physical processors. vSphere Hypervisor can be used on servers with maximum physical RAM capacity of 32GB. (Source)

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

FN-GM (8th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The advantage of VMWare is that the upgrade from standard is as simple as adding a license key. A migration pathway couldn't be simpler.
    Essentials is a pretty good mix if you will only ever need 3 servers.

If your changing the infrastructure to something else then, as mentioned earlier, KVM really hot contender especially when compared to hyper-v. Backup is as cheap and simple as a snapshot and copy. You'd not need to worry about puny 1TB memory limits, RHEL6 is limited to 64TB and 4096 CPU's per host with an unlimited number of hosts. It would be much more scalable than Hyper-v or VMWare essentials if you ever decided to go down the VDI route.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Backup is as cheap and simple as a snapshot and copy.
    What would you normally use to backup 2008 R2 guests running Exchange and/or MS SQL when using KVM as the hypervisor?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What would you normally use to backup 2008 R2 guests running Exchange and/or MS SQL when using KVM as the hypervisor?
    I was referring to backing up the VMImage, I don't see that it really matters what the hypervisor is. Use what you like to backup data if you don't want to keep it on an image.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 8th March 2012 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Backup is as cheap and simple as a snapshot and copy.
    Its not quite as simple as that. This method is no good for a DC, Exchange, SQL, File Servers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Its not quite as simple as that. This method is no good for a DC, Exchange, SQL, File Servers
    backing up a snapshot of a host doesn't preclude you from backing up the data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Personally I use BackupPC for Data shares and Built in windows server back to a share which backup pc then copies. backupPC is very effecient in its data storage capablities.

I'm currently evaluating backup software to use for the Exchange boxes and DC's. For Sims sql server a script which dumps the database using DB attach and then BackupPC takes a copy.

15. Thanks to glennda from:

Arthur (8th March 2012)

Thank Post
    The reason I asked was because I had a very quick look at RHEV on the RedHat website and on Google, but couldn't find anything relating to backing up Windows guests and/or Exchange & SQL. Obviously you could use something like BackupExec along with all of the relevant agents (expensive!!!), but I was just wondering if there was a better alternative (open source or not) when using KVM for the hypervisor?

Probably a stupid question.

Thank Post
    The reason I asked was because I had a very quick look at RHEV on the RedHat website and on Google, but couldn't find anything relating to backing up Windows guests and/or Exchange & SQL. Obviously you could use something like BackupExec along with all of the relevant agents (expensive!!!), but I was just wondering if there was a better alternative (open source or not) when using KVM for the hypervisor?
    I might be missing the point - does hyper-v have an inbuilt mechanism for backing up SQL/Exchange/AD which is independent of windows server?
    As far as I could tell its the same for all hypervisors. Use a 3rd party solution - which we had in place before we virtualised.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast