+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Moving from Vmware to Hyper-v? in Technical; Hey guys - no need to fight!!!! As specified I am only looking at VMWare and HyperV and the pros ...
    Thank Post
    Hey guys - no need to fight!!!! As specified I am only looking at VMWare and HyperV and the pros and cons of the two.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right.... gloves off - round 1! Only kidding.

Im in the Hyper V camp - purely because you can do all the Live Migrate stuff and clustering, service monitoring, auto failover for free in Server 08 R2 HyperV. Previously, VMWare had a monopoly on the live migrate stuff, with preferred hosts etc - but not any more. I designed my environment last summer and its already been tested a few times with power ups failures etc. It works really nicely.

And for those that say about HyperV hosts being a full OS - start using Server Core for those servers. I do for DCs, and any others which don't need a full GUI that I can manage with the remote tools.

Need any more info/advice - PM me or comment and I will trry and keep an eye here.

Stuart

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Hey guys - no need to fight!!!! As specified I am only looking at VMWare and HyperV and the pros and cons of the two.

Thanks
    We were in exactly your position - using ESXi for free and I went with vmware essentials because it would have been less disruptive and did what we needed, without needing to learn anything - just add a serial number. Now I need to look at VDI and increase number of servers realise that VMWare essentials, Xen and hyper-v come a pretty poor second place to KVM. Hence I mentioned it. If you want to limit your options then that is your prerogative, I'm sure whatever you choose you will be happy with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    HP and AMD everytime None of this Intel rubbish with us!
    Ha same with us! HP DL385 G5P (Opteron quad) as my only VM host, 5 VMs on it currently. Only 20GB of RAM so ESXi 5 will be fine when I upgrade to it from 4.1. I know ESXi has its flaws, but it has been extremely easy to setup, backup and administer. I'm seriously interested in Hyper-V licensing to be able to easily license a large number of converted physical servers across in the future though, what sort of price is it? (we're on OVS-ES/EES).

Thank Post
    Point to note that the licensing does apply for other VM OSes but all the same Id go with Hyper-V
    Think we paid about £60 for each datacentre lic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We were in exactly your position - using ESXi for free and I went with vmware essentials because it would have been less disruptive and did what we needed, without needing to learn anything - just add a serial number. Now I need to look at VDI and increase number of servers realise that VMWare essentials, Xen and hyper-v come a pretty poor second place to KVM. Hence I mentioned it. If you want to limit your options then that is your prerogative, I'm sure whatever you choose you will be happy with.
    You don't drive a school bus as your daily driver just incase you find out you have 50 kids though, right tool for the right job at the time. Migrating from one to the other is not all that hard as long as you plan for it.

Thank Post
    I have been using Hyper-V for 2 years now and its been really reliable. The failover isn't perfect but that maybe down to my setup. I also think Dynamic Memory is perfect yet but same again maybe my setup. I have found DPM 2010 for backing up VMS and restoring absolutely brilliant as a backup product. I have used Symantec for many years and find DPM a breath of fresh air! Also Virtual Machine manager is pretty handy and works well. I look forward to 2012 edition going final.

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Dynamic memory != memory overcommit
    I don't think he did, he just framed it differently.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123