+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Moving from Vmware to Hyper-v? in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd does hyper-v have an inbuilt mechanism for backing up SQL/Exchange/AD which is independent of Windows server? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    does hyper-v have an inbuilt mechanism for backing up SQL/Exchange/AD which is independent of Windows server?
    The VSS writer included with Hyper-V enables you to backup guests from the host (parent partition) without installing an agent in each VM. I think the ability to do granular restores of files/mailboxes/DBs etc. depends on the backup application used however.

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

CyberNerd (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info people - very good posts keep em coming!

I think if I am going to spend the time evaluating a new system I will wait for HV3 and then see what that's like.

In the mean time I think I will set up an ESXi5 box to see how that fares particularly now the RAM limit on the free version has been lifted from 8GB (useless) to 32GB (much more useful)

Cheers!!!

Thank Post
    I might be missing the point - does hyper-v have an inbuilt mechanism for backing up SQL/Exchange/AD which is independent of windows server?
    As far as I could tell its the same for all hypervisors. Use a 3rd party solution - which we had in place before we virtualised.
    Hi,

An open source software for Hyper-V VSS backups has been released: hypervbackup.codeplex.com
    It's very easy to use and supports CSV clusters too.

Alessandro Pilotti
    MVP ASP.Net / IIS

5. 2 Thanks to alexp:

Arthur (9th March 2012), CyberNerd (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Take a serious look at Hyper-V and don't just go to your LEA for Server 2k8R2 lics.

Hyper-V has 'near' live migration (drop in network connection but only for a fraction of a second), dynamic memory allocation and as we have all said is dirt cheap compared to VMWare (especially on small scale networks where you dont need 100s of GB of RAM).

Server 8 is also on the way with memory de duplication (one of the strongest features of VMWare at the moment) which if you get software assurance you will have the ability to upgrade to the moment it comes out.

Keep in mind that the enterprise lic will let you run 4 Server 2008 R2 VMs on the same hardware without any additional licensing and that the datacentre lic will let you run an unlimited number of VMs.

Thank Post
    Backup is easy enough as well if you use System Centre Data Protection manager (does local/and tape backup) which again is dirt cheap.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Hyper-V has 'near' live migration (drop in network connection but only for a fraction of a second), dynamic memory allocation and as we have all said is dirt cheap compared to VMWare (especially on small scale networks where you dont need 100s of GB of RAM).

Server 8 is also on the way with memory de duplication (one of the strongest features of VMWare at the moment) which if you get software assurance you will have the ability to upgrade to the moment it comes out.

KVM already has memory de-duplication, and live migration. did I mention it is free? and faster than hyper-v ? or am I just banging my head against a wall of MS shrills?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    KVM already has memory de-duplication, and live migration. did I mention it is free? and faster than hyper-v ? or am I just banging my head against a wall of MS shrills?
    I'll chime in here, Hyper-V is epic easy and has memory overcommit etc., migration and all sorts so it is a fully valid solution but it can also be a total horror show if you have the wrong hardware/patch level. R2 is a bad joke on the latest line of intel cpus and has all sorts of issues you need to manually patch around.

It is fantasticly simple and easy when it works but if you end up in a hole you are going to be ducking bombs for the duration. For the right hardware and schenario it is perfect for an MS shop as you already have the knowhow you'll need. Its just the edge cases that will have you crying into your bourbon at the end of the day. Also if your dealling with any *nix VMs you are probably after a different solution.

I am a MS fan but Hyper-V still has some holes and if you are unlucky enough to be effected by them it might be time to find a religion or pick a different solution.

Edit: Server 8 also requires special CPU memory managment extentions XMM or something that are only avalible on the latest CPUs so anything more than 2 years old will have you stuck on the previous version anyway.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th March 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Not to get into a constant to and fro but as I see it at the moment there are a few kind of educational IT guys out there-
    • RM CC3/4/whatever guys who let RM do all the work
    • RM CC3/4/whatever guys who want to get free and go vanilla
    • Windows Server guys who know Microsoft stuff inside and out and like a unified look and feel of their management tools and has no interest/time/bother in exploring other options because what they use works great
    • Linux guys who know Linux inside and out who think that everyone else should use it even if they have no experience/inclination to learn it
    Guess which one I fit in as………………

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    • Windows Server guys who know Microsoft stuff inside and out and like a unified look and feel of their management tools and has no interest/time/bother in exploring other options because what they use works great
    Pick me, pick me. I still use Hyper-V but on one particular platform I firmly beleive that it was fueled by my tears of rage and frustration. Seems to work now though, just took a bunch of extra effort in that one case. Never buy Acer... EVER!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Pick me, pick me. I still use Hyper-V but on one particular platform I firmly beleive that it was fueled by my tears of rage and frustration. Seems to work now though, just took a bunch of extra effort in that one case. Never buy Acer... EVER!!!
    HP and AMD everytime None of this Intel rubbish with us!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Not to get into a constant to and fro but as I see it at the moment there are a few kind of educational IT guys out there-
    ...snip...
    You missed out the radical bunch of us that thrive on implementing exciting and cost effective technology for the benefits of our school; be it based on Vmware,Google,Linux,MS,Cloud,Solaris or whatever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You missed out the radical bunch of us that thrive on implementing exciting and cost effective technology for the benefits of our school; be it based on Vmware,Google,Linux,MS,Cloud,Solaris or whatever.
    I don't think he did, he just framed it differently. It does basicly come down to those choices (fluffy cloud nonsence or not) and it depends on the skillset of the technical people and the current types of software and user skillset in place as to which of the options is the most exciting and cost effective (usually not in that order). Just because a certain bot of software is free does not instantly make it the most cost effective or correct choice for every situation.

Thank Post
    While I sit back in my easy chair with Lync 2010 UC deployed, Live@Edu for students, onsite exchange 2010 for staff, a TMG 2010 powered VPN for staff, UAG portal with HAP+ and RDS gateway not to mention Citrix VDI-in-a-Box and App-V........caus I'm such a un radical person *halo*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'll chime in here, Hyper-V is epic easy and has memory overcommit etc.,
    Dynamic memory != memory overcommit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Dynamic memory != memory overcommit
    Woops, bad wording but it does have dynamic, my brain obviously wandered off without permission again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast