+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, thinstation help in Technical; i'm pretty sure my eyes are bleeding and my brain is mush so please bear with me. I'm struggling (mightily ...
    Thank Post

thinstation help

i'm pretty sure my eyes are bleeding and my brain is mush so please bear with me.

I'm struggling (mightily i think) to configure thinstation for boot over our network. i've just been staring at it so long that i'm pretty sure i'm missing the obvious and request some help please.

The plan i have currently is to set up a separate server to load the thinstation image over the network for boot into rdesktop so the client machines can access our Terminal servers (and thus access Office, web, etc.) I've struggled with just getting an ubuntu server installation going (damn unrecognized NICs and misbehaving SATA drives) but that is going now on a test machine. Now the stuff i'm goign to facepalm later for asking but here it is:

1. After further investigation, is it possible to have two boot server hosts and boot file names registered on the dhcp server? if not, can creating a separate scope for the thin clients then allow access to the Terminal servers in the first scope? (i've not even looked at how to actually assign the clients to different scopes yet)
    2. for the boot file name to register on the dhcp scope (pxelinux.o) where do i find this file?? and the others needed for thinstation (thinstation.nib, thinstation.config, thinstation.build, etc) i think some of these can be found in the thinstation livecd .exe file if installed on a windows machine but i'm not certain at this point any more. i've dled many versions and only 1 actually has ran for me. i'm trying to git clone thinstation on to my ubuntu server just so i can have a working copy.

i've setup a tftp server on the ubuntu test server and created the boot folder as well. after i get these issues sorted i'll then worry about where to put the images to load.

thanks for the help, guys and gals. this is the last project i've got on my list.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used it on a Windows Server it was easy to do. There is a guide on here i will post the link.

EDIT: ThinStation Problem - Getting Global Configuration

This above link works every time.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

atamakosi (22nd February 2012)

Thank Post
    thanks, fn-gm, i'll give it a shot tomorrow. there is definitely some good info in that doc but again what does one do if there is already option 66 and 67 in the scope for the windows deployment server? override it unless needing to deploy windows fat clients?

(i did try to use the ts-o-matic but it wouldn't get past the build option, maybe it was just chrome)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    what does one do if there is already option 66 and 67 in the scope for the windows deployment server? override it unless needing to deploy windows fat clients?)
    You have 2 options that i can think of

1. Create a special VLAN for ThinClients and set the 2 options for you Thinstation Setup
    2. Create DHCP reservations in your current VLAN for the clients and manually change option 66 67 in the reservation itself.

Thank Post
    i am currently trying to go for a test run on the ubuntu machine and thinstation by switching the DHCP options on my windows 2k8 server to option 66 <server IP> and option 67 <pxelinux.0>. i keep getting the pxeboot option from my wds server though. is there a setting i'm missing?

Thank Post
    nm, i got it by using an etherboot disc. for some reason (read: i have no idea) using the intel pxe will only connect to the MS servers even though the info has changed in DHCP. so i'm hoping that a final step may be to flash the pxe rom on the machines that will be thin clients and they will boot off etherboot straight to the ubuntu server (no discs, no hdd's, pure nic). where as all others apparently only recognize the MS WDS server when booting from intel pxe. And I'll just leave the DHCP options as is with them pointing to the ubuntu server and pxelinux.0 boot file.

now i haven't gotten a successful boot off etherboot just yet but it is recognizing the correct settings for the server. but it looks like it is going through all possible options to boot from pxelinux.cfg instead of finding the 'default' file and booting off it. (as in it is going slowly off an alphabetical list so will eventually boot, i'm hoping)

Thank Post
    ok, i take that back. it was still attempting to boot from the wds instead of ubuntu. it would retreive the pxelinux.0 file from ubuntu server but then switched back to wds for loading the pxelinux.cfg files (??)

Thank Post
    i'm pretty much just keeping a running list of errors here.

I've discovered that in order for it to accept the ubuntu server as the primary pxe server, the wds service needs to be stopped on the MS servers. Once that is done it relies solely on the ubuntu machine for pxe boot. The error i now see is 'missing diag/vesamenu'. From what googling tells me, there should be a diag folder withing the pxelinux.cfg folder but again haven't been able to locate where this folder comes from. It wasn't generated by the ts-o-matic like the other files used for boot. (and if anyone is interested in setting this up on a linux machine don't forget to chmod 777 the tftpboot folder and add nobody as owner.)

Does anyone know how to generate the diag folder i'm missing or where to obtain a copy of the files, assuming they are generic diag files and don't need to be specific for the build of course?

Thank Post
    anyone?

if i can get this darn diag folder i believe i'd actually have a working thin client. From what I've read it is supposedly in the boot-images folder that thinstation creates when you install it on a machine that serves as the pxe server too. but i can't get the iso to install on any machine due to my proxy causing a GIT fail. connecting straight into our cisco box doesn't work as i can't seem to find the correct command to change gateway settings in xterm on the thinstation gui.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread