+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Xenserver query in Technical; Hi All, Got a guest linux ftp/webserver VM runningon Xenserver 5.6fp1 which has developed a NIC interface problem in that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

Xenserver query

Hi All,
    Got a guest linux ftp/webserver VM runningon Xenserver 5.6fp1 which has developed a NIC interface problem in that it does not have a recognised IP address and therefore I cannot gain access to it although it states the system is running, I cannot see the console cli.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and how they dealt with it.

I have tried the following:

1. Moving guest to another Host: did not work because it reported that the guest system was doing something (It seems that it is locked up in doing something which I have no idea as I cannot gain access).
    2. Checking out whether the XAPI service is running on the host and how many systems it is servicing: Done through SSH and it seems everything is in order.
    3. Rebooting the Host: As No.1 above it will not restart the Host due to the guest system being classed as busy doing something.
    4. Deleting said guest and then rebooting Host: Problem, I don't have a backup of guest VM as it has been refusing to backup due to the system being "busy doing something".

I am at a loss, but as it is not a data intensive system and not even for the school I am just tempted to delete it

Thanks in advance
    Bossman

Thank Post
    Does xenserver support hot adding hardware, I haven't managed to play with that yet, if it does could you remove the vnic and readd another one perhaps!?

Or perhaps you could force a shutdown through the host cli XenServer Documentation

Thank Post
    ^ Aye, force a shutdown and see if it comes up clean. If not boot off a live .iso, mount the VM disk and poke around in syslog to see what it was trying to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Hi Guys, have sorted it through the following:

VM manual reboot through Host CLI:

1 - "xe vm-list" to get the uuid of the VM that is hung

2 - "list_domains" to list the domain uuid's so you can determine
    the domain # of the VM above by matching the uuids from this output with
    the uuid for your VM from the previous command.

3 - "/opt/xensource/debug/destroy_domain -domid XX" where XX is the domain number from the previous command

4 - "xe vm-reboot uuid=XXXX --force" where XXXX is the uuid from the first vm-list command for your VM.

Your VM will be back up running now in most cases. (I use this for my HVMs that hang so I don't have to reboot the host server)

This has got me VM back up and running without having to reboot the host but still showing no IP address in the Xencentre console although I can ping on the LAN so at the moment its back. will update as necessary.

Thanks guy's

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread