+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Dell UPS on vSphere5 in Technical; I'm trying to figure out how to make my Dell UPS work on my vSphere5 installation and my lack of ...

Thank Post

Dell UPS on vSphere5

I'm trying to figure out how to make my Dell UPS work on my vSphere5 installation and my lack of complete understanding is something of an issue (not using vCentre).

First the instruction seem to point me towards installing vMA as another guest OS does that do more than just allow me to run the install script (which I can do from my machine with the power cli.
    Second what do install. According to the installation notes the file I need to run is ulnm-linuxx.x.xxx.x86_64.rpm However when I've downloaded the latest version and browsed to the files it's left it in a folder called AMD64 (as opposed to an i386 folder where there are other files). As I'm a bit nervious and not that confident it's left me a bit unsure how to proceed.
    Any advice would be apprciated.

Thank Post
    Hi Stuart,

Sounds to me like you're using the CD that came with the UPS. There is a newer and much easier software you can use and you don't need to use the vMA interface. Just go to dellups_com -> Software & Technical Documentation -> Click the link at the top of the page. The new software remotely installs a vCenter plugin from a browser interface, automatically adds your ESXi hosts and allows you to configure the shutdown parameters from the web interface. It also enabled vMotion so that if you have recovery hosts, when the primary host goes into "on battery" mode, the software will move your VMs to the recovery location. DRS will bring the VMs back when the power alarm is cleared.

Hope this helps!
    Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread