+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Interactive Whiteboards on Thin Client in Technical; Has anyone tried to do this? We have RM Classboard / Classboard Touch which requires a driver and are USB. ...
    Thank Post

Interactive Whiteboards on Thin Client

Has anyone tried to do this? We have RM Classboard / Classboard Touch which requires a driver and are USB. Since we don't have thin client yet but soon will I am wondering if it is doable or whether a fat client at the front of the room of thin clients is the only solution. For example, if you have an XPe based thin client device could the drivers not be on it somehow (e.g. on flash memory).

Thank Post

Re: Interactive Whiteboards on Thin Client

USB port redirection is not fully support in a pure WTS or Citrix environment you can however get a Lean client like this one http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/V90/index.asp which allows you to run the IWB software locally.

Personally I would just keep a fat client for the IWB and setup a connection on the desktop to the terminal server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

USB port redirection is not fully support in a pure WTS or Citrix environment
    Oh really? Because it's working here...

Thank Post

USB or serial connectivity?

I did say USB port redirection "is not fully" supported and while it may work for you, I think it would be miss-leading to inform the poster that it will work in every case.

The best advice would be to ask the manufacturer of the device if their product is supported in a terminal server environment.

Thank Post

The ClassBoards are rebadged GTCO Calcomp SchoolBoards (which I happen to use).

The way I do it is to have an XP machine (although an XPe one would do) at the front of the room. You install the necessary software on that machine and then run your terminal services/citrix client. When you activate the controls, the shrink the client window slightly and the toolbar pops up on the right.

You don't need to do anything on the terminal services side of things.

Thank Post

The way I do it is to have an XP machine (although an XPe one would do) at the front of the room. You install the necessary software on that machine and then run your terminal services/citrix client. When you activate the controls, the shrink the client window slightly and the toolbar pops up on the right.
    So you have a normal PC at the front of the room and then run TS Client? The problem with that is that since we use CC3 I may as well just have a normal PC running CC3 at the front.

I was hoping that I could use a thin client device like an HP T5720 with the drivers on the flash memory.

Since we havn't got any thin client stuff yet I am still learning about it. But assuming a T5720 does anyone know if I can do it? The main driver here is that if it worked I could use the same approach for rooms where teachers currently hook up their laptops to IWBs at a cheaper costs than buying PCs.

Thank Post

The HP T5720 runs windows XPe, has 512DDR ram as standard and will support applications running locally from the flash RAM so you should be able to run your whiteboard software locally.

Thank Post

Hi,

I've tried this on a Wyse XPe device and a smart board using the cutdown version of the Smart software (the one designed to run from a USB stick).

It did work but was a little strange if you logged onto a remote machine as the smart notebook was running remotely even though the board was running on the XPe device. It would be a better experience I think if I'd used published apps.

In the end I opted for fat clients for the IWB just due to the flexility of wanting video, other devices such as voting etc - the risk of the terminal is that these may not quite work as expected.

Neil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread