+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Implementing a thin client suite in Technical; We are going to implement a suite of thin clients (HP T5135s) onto our CC3 network via Client Connect and ...
    Thank Post

Implementing a thin client suite

We are going to implement a suite of thin clients (HP T5135s) onto our CC3 network via Client Connect and will buy a Member Terminal Server for it.

Originally I was going to buy a rack mounted server and put it in the server room. However, I was wondering whether it would be worth getting a pedestal mounted one and put it in the room, with the thinking that performance may be improved due to the locality of the server and client devices being within the same switch.

Does anyone have any opinions on which is the best idea and in addition whether the T5135 on CC3 via Client Connect will be a reasonable solution. It is certainly cheaper than getting new PCs.

Thank Post

Re: Implementing a thin client suite

I have installed HP thin clients at a school running CC3. I installed two load balanced terminal servers for resilience and to support the number of terminal they wanted.

Some things to watch out for with CC3

1. Configure separate TS profiles so that the RM profiles are not pulled across, this causes all sorts of issues. The TS profile location can be configured in GPO and I would store the profiles on the terminal server itself.

2. Create a new OU in the AD for the TS and block GPO inheritance on this OU, the RM GPO’s are not much use for a terminal server and you will need to configure a terminal server lockdown GPO from scratch.

3. Remember to remove the shutdown command in the GPO and enable group policy loop back processing.

The location of the terminal server will make little difference unless is on the other side of world.

One last thing, some multimedia apps especially flash does not perform very well over RDP

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

Re: Implementing a thin client suite

Slightly off topic but if anyone looking to implement thin client on a tight budget, there are always some good deals on ebay.

I have just found these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-Compaq-Ev...QQcmdZViewItem

Soundls like bargin to me at £100 for 10 units. There are 4 lots up for grabs so you could make a suite of 30 and keep back for spares for £400 quid!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread