+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtualisation and other stories in Technical; Yes I see. However I don't really understand how you can get a 4 nic card and 2 x 1 ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes I see. However I don't really understand how you can get a 4 nic card and 2 x 1 port HBAs in a 1 U DL360 G7 or am I missing something? Also are the dual controllers not setup as active/active otherwise what's the point in having 2 controllers?

Our present setup has run all of our infrastructure for 4 and a half years, we monitor performance and latency on a regular basis and have found few, if any issues. SIMS runs slow on occasions but I've tried it both on physical and virtual and performance seems to be agnostic of the technology you run it on - my conclusion... SIMS is crap, but then you all know that anyway. You really can't put a price on reliabiity... well yes I can and have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I've got a 2 port hba card in them into the fiber switch ( HP 8/20q). The 4 port nic card comes with a half height adaptor so fits in aswell. Sims is rubbish ill agree with that!

I've only been here 2 years and getting everything running realiably, reducing login times of 4/5mins to less then 1 was more important then drastic back end changes (enless needed)

Now everything is running reliably We can look to do.more virtuliseation stuff which is where I am currently.

My other virtual hosts are dl380's which will take 3/4 full height cards and a half height card. They come in very similar price/spec but the 380 is designed more with in server storage in mind with 8sff sas drive
    bays.

Having two controllers is for failover. If one controller fails the hosts auto connect to the other ( We use Linux kvm and an Oracle file system cluster and multipath) . So you have no downtime and get 16gb to the san from the fiber switch

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You do well to take your time, reliability is the key word here. With reliability you can argue for replacement and expansion. SLT and governors knew the replacement was coming 2 years ago (mainly because I kept bringing it up at line management every 3 months - never underestimate the power of repeating yourself, it's when they don't know that problems arise). Experiences of IT at different schools vary widely (I am working with one school where login times are around 15 mins!), for us major problems are rare if they ever did happen staff would not really be well equiped to deal with them (possibly a bad thing).

Our choice of desktop PCs has followed a similar path this time all Dell, few laptops (nipped that one in the bud early on), not the cheapest but they really do last for years. Our replacement cycle is now 6 years our oldest Dells (GX520s) work fine with Windows 7, we will continue to replace about 130 per year. Printer consumables £8,000 pa. Total spend pa is now down to about £120,000. If the school wants reliability & performance that's the cost oh yes and the IT support team's salary. Sorry I digress.

Thank Post
    That's very similar to what We get Although We will be hitting 220 a year replacement on a 5 year cycle with next summers less (because on the original plan of the previous next summer is the servers rather then desktops.

The only failures We seem to have at the moment are air-con and internet which is out of my control! The air was serviced 5 weeKs before it failed ( I do have 2 but anything longer then 1/2 hours it get above a comfortable temp.

And the internet was a hardware failure with hr's media converter!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Same! Last weekend had the VDI server room at melt down due to aircon failure (both units!!). One of the IBMs recorded 45 degrees before shutting itself down (have changed the criticality levels down to 35 degrees).

Internet! don't talk to me about internet, the LA supply ours. Last September...chaos, but not for much longer. I can't go into detail for legal reasons but things will improve both in terms of reliability and cost effectiveness. Internet is the last thing out of our control.

As I've said in previous posts (perhaps controvertially) solutions bigger than a school don't work. This isn't isolationism, it's pragmatism and being on the sharp end of implementations that just don't deliver is not a good place to be. The whole change management process becomes rediculously protracted. A change I can make in just a few minutes takes days. So when I got "I'm sorry you can't use office web apps as we are on Sharepoint 2007 and will not be changing any time soon", I lost the will to live and did it myself. Office 365 and live at edu (or whatever its called) equally disappointing

Thank Post
    I made sure ours didn't get to that - shutdown non critical systems to reduce heat etc. Ours peaked at 27. But is now happily running sub 20. Although I've now been approved to get roomalert with a few sensors to alert me to the issue in the future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    Same! Last weekend had the VDI server room at melt down due to aircon failure (both units!!). One of the IBMs recorded 45 degrees before shutting itself down (have changed the criticality levels down to 35 degrees).

Internet! don't talk to me about internet, the LA supply ours. Last September...chaos, but not for much longer. I can't go into detail for legal reasons but things will improve both in terms of reliability and cost effectiveness. Internet is the last thing out of our control.

As I've said in previous posts (perhaps controvertially) solutions bigger than a school don't work. This isn't isolationism, it's pragmatism and being on the sharp end of implementations that just don't deliver is not a good place to be. The whole change management process becomes rediculously protracted. A change I can make in just a few minutes takes days. So when I got "I'm sorry you can't use office web apps as we are on Sharepoint 2007 and will not be changing any time soon", I lost the will to live and did it myself. Office 365 and live at edu (or whatever its called) equally disappointing
    We have internet away from Council now, forgot about all the problems used to have!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting... roomalert.. which version, which sensors, how much?

Thank Post
    The 4er with an extra digital temp/humidity sensor.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What is the approximate cost?

Thank Post
    Under 400 quid I think there seems to be one supplier about online

Thank Post
    Interesting thread as always Dave_O, our VM stuff is settling down now and I'm enjoying the flexibility of building VMs on the fly to test out all the funky 2008 R2 services I couldn't get near on the old physical stuff

Once you go virtual there's no point piling multiple services onto a single VM, especially with some of the badly coded stuff out there that only needs to be looked at the wrong way to fall over

The Veeam direct SAN is how we set ours up in the end, would feel happier if we could do read-only LUNs on the SAN but not many seem to do it, that said it's OK at the moment just have to be careful that nothing changes the auto mount setting. Some of the Universal restore stuff is fantastic once you have a play with it.

Not looking forward to our 7 upgrade mainly down to folder redirection and profiles but gotta be done!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    gshaw

Glad everything has gone well with the virtualisation. As you are, I am sure, finding now, many of the things you were worried about before virtualuising all seem insignificant now. The flexibility it gives you is very enabling. Virtualisation gives you the ability to seperate services at no real cost, whilst gaining stability and service isolation.

I was a bit annoyed that Veeam have only just bought out a patch for vSphere 5 direct SAN backup but that serves me right for upgrading before fully testing. Still no harm done .

My suggesttions to you Re Windows 7 are:- a) Test and retest you user experience, we took 6 months and still missed one or two things b) keep it simple don't try and do anything too clever it always end in tears c) As noted elsewhere in edugeek get rid of libraries they are both confusing and a liability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    My suggesttions to you Re Windows 7 are:- a) Test and retest you user experience, we took 6 months and still missed one or two things b) keep it simple don't try and do anything too clever it always end in tears c) As noted elsewhere in edugeek get rid of libraries they are both confusing and a liability.
    Don't remove the documents/music/pictures/videos library though - it causes folder redirection to fail for all of them. I've just done it and spent 9 months planning - i redid all GPO's from scratch (as they where just setup ad-hoc over time so I shrunk them down from 20+ to about 6). But there is always going to be little niggerly problems so its work making SLT aware that there is always going to be slight issues (i found mainly over missed gpo's allowing students to do random little things and also Users not knowing how)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Don't remove the documents/music/pictures/videos library though - it causes folder redirection to fail for all of them.
    Never seen that happen. See this for details of some of the main issues and work arounds.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast