+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XenDesktop With Windows Live Movie maker in Technical; With ESXi as your underlying hypervisor you need to be able to present a GPU capable of running it to ...

Thank Post
    With ESXi as your underlying hypervisor you need to be able to present a GPU capable of running it to the underlying hardware, in vSphere 5 VMware has added 3D support to the Virtual Hardware to enable the use of Aero - a by product of which should be (may be?!) the ability to run WMM as it is a different virtual graphics card - I will test this on our lab and confirm for you

Thank Post
    Think its kind of strange they created a work around for Google Earth(HDX Optimization Pack for Google Earth - Citrix eDocs) D3D9.dll, but they have nothing going on for windows photo viewer, windows movie maker, etc.

Thank Post
    You can install Windows Movie Maker 2.6 on XenDesktop 5 or Higher, and it doesn't need DirectX to work. It looks like Microsoft know the image is virtual machine, and doesn't want to install it. You will get the error message saying that this can be installed on Windows Vista only. When in fact if you install it on a physical box it will install just fine onto Windows 7. I had to trick the virtual machine to think it was already installed to by pass the system checks. I have attached the register file in a Zip file. Basically I gathered up all the register keys, so that I would think it was installed on the virtual machine. First you will have to import the register files onto your Xendesktop Image. Next you go to: Download Windows Movie Maker 2.6 from Official Microsoft Download Center, and download the Movie Maker 2.6 MSI. Place this file onto the C:\ drive; I set the register keys look for the installer there. Next run the MSI, and the installer setup page bring you to the uninstall and repair window. Repair the installed, and you are all done. Movie Maker will not run from XenCenter(requires sound), nor will it run from RDP. You will have to provision the Image to see that it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, I think I did something similar but much more simple by hacking the OS check to allow it to run under MPS.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...AE80AB0%211609

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zenithtwc View Post
    Think its kind of strange they created a work around for Google Earth(HDX Optimization Pack for Google Earth - Citrix eDocs) D3D9.dll, but they have nothing going on for windows photo viewer, windows movie maker, etc.
    Oh and that is not strange, OSS people have a turgid one for Google but don't like MS at all. I just had to use Orca.msi from the Windows SDK to yank a bunch of the requirements from the install but stuff that relies on DX and even more so stuff that relies on OpenGL works terribly on stuff that does not have an accelerator. Had to deal with some software that was the definition of feature creep, a word reading program that requires openGL2, a massive burden for something that barely uses graphics but makes it undeployable on anything not built for gaming despite how powerful the CPU it (i7).

DX does degrade much better and should work allrightish and at least the acceleration was needed to start with. I'd just pull the requirements off the MSI and hope that the CPU can keep up. With OpenGL you can uyse MESA but that has ''TERRIBLE'' performance on a high end CPU. Remote FX via a hyper-V server is probably the best bet, even if that does add an extra $1000 on to a $20k project to get going.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12