+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Terminal Server + SIMS + local crash occasionally accessing redirected drive... in Technical; My school closed at the end of August, and the building is now part of another school. Some of our ...
    Thank Post

Terminal Server + SIMS + local crash occasionally accessing redirected drive...

My school closed at the end of August, and the building is now part of another school.

Some of our staff now have to use SIMS remotely via terminal services (the rest have to use SLG).

We want to be able to use redirected drives so that they can upload data into SIMS that's stored on our servers.

The drives are redirected, but SIMS will (more than) occasionally lock up when you try and access them (on a semi-random basis). The redirected drives are drives that are mapped on our local network. (The lock occurs when you click on a button to browse.)

This is making our Data Manager's job very difficult. We've replaced her machine, it's faster, with a new install, and fully updated, just in case the issue was caused by a software conflict on her old machine.

One thing I've noticed is that if we log into the remote desktop (normally we just run the SIMS app itself remotely) then we only see the local drive we've expressly set to be redirected. When SIMS works at browsing a file to upload, it sees *all* the local drives.

I think I'm going to try removing some of the mapped drives, and just leaving the data one, and see if that helps. (Thinking while I'm typing - could it be that its having trouble seeing one of our local drives, so it's hanging... but why would SIMS be looking at all those drives anyway - I've not redirected them.)

Anyone got any ideas, or come across something similar?

Thanks,
    Duncan.

Thank Post
    While troubleshooting I remembered a story about how the finance database had to be moved between servers because it kept losing a connection in that room and it would 'drop out'.

I'm going to try moving the PC to another room to rule out network issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread