+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, RD Session Host farm with 2003 TS style logon screen in Technical; Hi guys, hope you can help. I'm in the middle of setting up a session host farm, four virtual Session ...
    Thank Post

RD Session Host farm with 2003 TS style logon screen

Hi guys, hope you can help.

I'm in the middle of setting up a session host farm, four virtual Session Hosts and a Connection Broker. The farm has been setup with round robin DNS and my understanding is that you connect to the farm using the farm name, which connects to one of the session hosts and then using the connection broker redirects you to another session host in the farm, this all works as intended.

Our thin clients consist of a mix of Windows Thin PC and wyse terminals to connect to the farm. Connecting to the farm on the wyse terminals brings up the standard windows login screen but requires a double login, whilst connecting to the farm through the Thin PC's brings up the credential check before connecting to the farm, but then does the redirection automatically and only requires one login.

We would like the 2003 TS style login screen on all connections but only require one login in the redirection process. I have tried setting the enablecredsspsupport:i:0 perimeter in the Thin PC RDP file but this requires the double login.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe using the TLS1.0 support from the initial server farm connection to then pass the details on to the redirected session host?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teky View Post
    Hi guys, hope you can help.

I'm in the middle of setting up a session host farm, four virtual Session Hosts and a Connection Broker. The farm has been setup with round robin DNS and my understanding is that you connect to the farm using the farm name, which connects to one of the session hosts and then using the connection broker redirects you to another session host in the farm, this all works as intended.

Our thin clients consist of a mix of Windows Thin PC and wyse terminals to connect to the farm. Connecting to the farm on the wyse terminals brings up the standard windows login screen but requires a double login, whilst connecting to the farm through the Thin PC's brings up the credential check before connecting to the farm, but then does the redirection automatically and only requires one login.

We would like the 2003 TS style login screen on all connections but only require one login in the redirection process. I have tried setting the enablecredsspsupport:i:0 perimeter in the Thin PC RDP file but this requires the double login.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe using the TLS1.0 support from the initial server farm connection to then pass the details on to the redirected session host?

Thanks
    For what its worth, as a thin client developer, we resolved this issue by adding a "front end" onto the terminal login, which essentially caches the
    users' credentials, and automatically and invisibly presents the credentials to the broker and server....

Your current terminal supplier should be able to provide a similar f/w upgrade...?

Thank Post
    just a thought process, if i was to enable SSO to terminal servers following: How to enable Single Sign-On for my Terminal Server connections - Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs onto each of the session hosts and the connection broker, should this then in theroy allow me to use the standard windows login screen for the initial connection and then seamlesly redirect me to the session host chosen by the broker? Will test this in the morning

Thank Post
    Slightly different result to how I had originally planned it but have a work around. The Thin PC clients are already joined to the domain so that we can manage them via GPO and update them. We did have them automatically logon with a local account and replaced the shell to call the rdp file, but we now have them so that students logs onto them, with a VB script as the shell that calls the rdp file, and using the SSO method from my previous post automatically logs them onto the RDP session. Once they logoff from the RDP session the VB script then logs off the student from the Thin PC ready for someone else to use.

The Wyse terminals are now logged on using normal network user accounts and auto connects to an RDP session, with the user, password and domain using $un, $pw and $dn that uses the logged on user credentials and passes them onto the RDP session for SSO use. We have the new T50 terminals that use RDP client v7.

So, not the universal 2003 style TS login that we wanted, but using SSO we now have the one login to the session host farm from both environments.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread