+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Looking into Virtual Desktops for small amount of PCs - 4-5k ? Possible in Technical; Hi all, We have been awarded a sum of money that "HAS" to be spent in a certain area within ...

Thank Post

Looking into Virtual Desktops for small amount of PCs - 4-5k ? Possible

Hi all,

We have been awarded a sum of money that "HAS" to be spent in a certain area within the school. This being a small room with 10 computers.
    We have been awarded 4-5k, so instead of replacing these 10 computers and having money left over that we cannot spend, i though about the possibility of stepping into virtualision of the OS`s.

We currently have many of our servers virtualised using Hyper-V on 3 x Dell hosts. But we DONT have a SAN and cant see us buying one in the near future . We have an MD3000 SAS for the storage.

My question is... Would it be possible to buy a new dell powerful rack server with lots of RAM for maybe 2-3k and use the remaining to buy 10 x monitor mounted thin clients or acer revo type computers.

Am I dreaming here or could this be possible withing a small budget?
    Even though this is for such a small number of machines it would give us valuable experience and the possibility for expansion if it is a sucess?

I would aim/hope to spec the server to be able to host 30-120 machines if possible? Is a SAN a nessesitly?

Thank Post
    Have a look at Kaviza from Citrix - dosn't use a SAN so it works a treat.

Hyper-V edition is currently in beta testing (we are accualy testing it here) however it works with Citrix XenServer (free edition) as well as VMWare (but the less said about that the better!).
    It should certinly be a possible thing with your budget so if you want to be put in contact with the UK guy who looks after it just give me a PM.

Thank Post
    Why would it have to be powerful, with that budget you could buy a bog standard server, and use terminal services, buy a few wyse s10 thin clients and push settings out with ini file through a ftp site. guess it depends on what the computers will be doing though, but just for standard RDP traffic with officey apps 4-8gb, should be plenty man enough.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies...

you could buy a bog standard server, and use terminal services

Terminal services we introduced years back for some of the admin team, the reason why I wanted a powerfull server as I would hope that it would be scalable and as we have 90 PCs that are reaching 5 years old and due for replacement, virtualised desktops with ultra thin clients could be a huge saving all round. Not to mention all the other benifits of virtualisation...

Great thanks for this, will look into it tmrw. From their spec per 30x machines i would need a 8 core 32gig server. I would guess this is going to be around 3k

Thank Post
    You may be surprised at how powerful Remote Desktop Services is these days under Windows 2008R2, a LOT of people that come to us looking for VDI end up going down that route as you can do much more these days with it. PLUS, if you are on a budget, you can then look at the Axel ZeroClients instead of Wyse to get the costs down!

Thank Post
    Thanks Andrew. By "Axel ZeroClients", would you be meaning the Axel AX3000 thin clients?
    These are very cheap now and would look neat on the back of a monitor.

Would the Axels and a new server with 2k8 r2 as a dedicated Terminal Server really compare to a physical workstation or a VDI solution?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by burgemaster; 5th September 2011 at 06:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    You could also look into windows multipoint server 2011

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You could also look into windows multipoint server 2011
    Ben
    Hey Ben,
    "Windows MultiPoint Server 2011 Premium Edition supports up to 20 simultaneously connected user stations"
    Not as scalable as i thought it might be.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    No but it depends on how you deploy it from directly connected graphics to usb connected hubs with built in gfx or rdp clients it's the flexibility that I like.

Currently deployed an 8 seat machine into an ict suite using direct connected graphics and if it all goes to plan the other 25 pc's in the room will be replaced with more mps 2011 boxes.

This is reducing the cost for hardware and also deployment time for ICT suites whilst not being the same as a 100% virtual desktop implementation.

Ben

Thank Post
    VDI has a very specific use case when it comes down to comparing with the other options and it in essence is this - if you need a performant and user configurable desktop that is ran from a central location or infrastructure and has requirements for either fast updating video or intensive applications (design, media video etc) then VDI is for you.

However, if you want to deploy a number of end user devices, maintain a standardised delivery of mainly office based applications and have no desire for intensive use or heavy use of flash or very good quality video then Remote Desktop Services or Thin-Client delivery from another vendor may be for you.

The majority of educational establishments we go into end up with either RDS or a Hybrid delivery of RDS and VDI, most people pushing full VDI have rarely fully understood the user requirements as (although not impossible), it is very rare that an organisation needs the full flexibility of VDI.

In the early days, many projects found this out to cost, you would provide the hardware and software after a long qualification period asking all the right questions only to be told - "we want one standard desktop image based on Windows XP" and then you see 300 kids doing nothing more than Facebook and Microsoft word on them!

Am not saying VDI is never the answer, it's just a case of establishing exactly what you are trying to achieve before you start, there is nothing stopping you trying a RDS rollout and a smaller VDI implementation and then ramping up to full VDI afterwards if RDS does not cut the mustard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Great thanks for this, will look into it tmrw. From their spec per 30x machines i would need a 8 core 32gig server. I would guess this is going to be around 3k
    We run 20 desktops off a AMD 8 core with 44Gb RAM and 4x15k drives and that cost us 3,500 so you could probably do 10 desktops for less

Thank Post
    I can do 24 direct connected devices with 3 multipoint servers for 3k

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    i would buy a decent server - install TS on it then install windows thin pc on the old fat clients and then set them up to auto login and replace the registry key that calls explorer.exe with mstsc.exe with a few command line switches to read a .rdp connection file. you can then setup a script on the old fat clients which querys if the mstsc process is running if not start it.

Thank Post
    Terminal services works great for us and I dare say is more cost effective than VDI at the moment as all our user only need standard officey apps, so yes VDI is better for higher end apps, but at the mo we dont need it. My original post was assuming that you would stay at 10 endpoints and not be looking at expanding up to 90, still I think I stand by my original point as we can quite happily manage around 50 RDP connections to modest hardware which saves us a bucket load on licencing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    i would buy a decent server - install TS on it then install windows thin pc on the old fat clients and then set them up to auto login and replace the registry key that calls explorer.exe with mstsc.exe with a few command line switches to read a .rdp connection file. you can then setup a script on the old fat clients which querys if the mstsc process is running if not start it.
    Hi,
    The room would be later inspected by the trust that awarded this money. If they saw no change I dont think i could understand virtualisation to 8x 50-80year olds! lol
    Also the computers are popping PSUs and motherboards each week, they really are on there way out!!
    Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast