+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, ESXi Essentials Plus in Technical; Have been using the free version of VMware ESXi for a couple of years, and their marketing strategy has paid ...
  1. #1


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339

    ESXi Essentials Plus

    Have been using the free version of VMware ESXi for a couple of years, and their marketing strategy has paid off as we now are moving to Essentials Plus.

    So it is a bit new to me.
    I gather I need the VMware vCenter™ Server installed somewhere, and have downloaded the iso and have the serial to hand.
    Does the VMware vCenter™ Server actually host servers? or can it run in a virtual machine? I'm assuming it's just there to direct the ESXi servers, and I use the standard Vsphere client to connect to it... ?

    I would be grateful for any info from someone more clued up than me.

    TIA

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,678
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 794 Times in 714 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Yep, run in a virtual machine and yes, it just drives esxi servers (via the vsphere) so you connect to it rather than an individual esxi box if you have more than one.

  3. Thanks to kmount from:

    CyberNerd (12th August 2011)

  4. #3
    Netman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    56.343515, -2.804118
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 190 Times in 143 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    vCenter doesn't host anything - it's purely a management tool - it can run physical or virtual - ours is the latter - so just do a clean install of Server 2008 R2 with static IP etc. then install vCenter server on top and as you rightly say, point your client at it, remembering to log in using your server administrator credentials... you're gonna love vCenter!

    Edit - and while you've still got the vCenter iso connected, you might as well install update manger (you'll need that!) and converter too if you're going to be doing any P2V...
    Last edited by Netman; 12th August 2011 at 01:55 PM.

  5. Thanks to Netman from:

    CyberNerd (12th August 2011)

  6. #4

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,758
    Thank Post
    825
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    441
    vCenter does all the work if one of your host goes offline. I wouldnt host vCenter on the custer. If the host fails that has the vCenter server on the virtual machines will not be picked up by your other servers. I have mine on a physical box.

  7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

    CyberNerd (12th August 2011)

  8. #5
    Netman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    56.343515, -2.804118
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 190 Times in 143 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf This might help if you haven't seen it already... chapter 10 onwards...

  9. Thanks to Netman from:

    CyberNerd (12th August 2011)

  10. #6
    Netman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    56.343515, -2.804118
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 190 Times in 143 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    vCenter does all the work if one of your host goes offline. I wouldnt host vCenter on the custer. If the host fails that has the vCenter server on the virtual machines will not be picked up by your other servers. I have mine on a physical box.
    Not really - HA would catch it and bring it up on another host - HA is not reliant on the vCenter VM running once it's set up. The consensus these days seems to lean toward virtual as you gain much more flexibility. I always have a clone of my vCenter server sitting on a different host and datastore anyway - makes life easy when doing updates if you don't have a vstorage motion licence...
    More here: VirtualCenter, run it on physical or virtual? | The VMguy

  11. Thanks to Netman from:

    CyberNerd (12th August 2011)

  12. #7


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Thanks All.
    My understanding is much clearer.

  13. #8

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,758
    Thank Post
    825
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Not really - HA would catch it and bring it up on another host - HA is not reliant on the vCenter VM running once it's set up. The consensus these days seems to lean toward virtual as you gain much more flexibility. I always have a clone of my vCenter server sitting on a different host and datastore anyway - makes life easy when doing updates if you don't have a vstorage motion licence...
    More here: VirtualCenter, run it on physical or virtual? | The VMguy
    A few years ago it happened to a school a work at the HA didnt kick in. VMware recommended we have the VC on a physical box.

  14. #9
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    We've got our VC as a VM, probably better on there than a 5yr old physical server where it would be living otherwise in our case.

    The cluster will run fine even if VC isn't there and we've also got Veeam Instant Recovery that can bring the VM alive directly from backup as well which helps

  15. #10


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    I have a Follow up Question:

    I downloaded VWMare-VIMSetup-all-4.1.0-345024 which is (apparently) 4.1 U1 vcentre.

    I tried to install on 2008R2 64bit but it says only it will only install on:
    xp 64 bit
    2003 server 64 bit
    2008 server 64bit

    any ideas?

    is 4.2 U1 supported on 2008R2 64?

  16. #11

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,758
    Thank Post
    825
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    441
    We have it on Server 2008 R2. Its version 4.1. Thee wont be a version 4.2 the next one is version 5.

  17. #12


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We have it on Server 2008 R2. Its version 4.1. Thee wont be a version 4.2 the next one is version 5.
    is it 4.1 update 1 or just 4.1

    mine just refused to install stating it was an incompatible O/S

  18. #13

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,758
    Thank Post
    825
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    is it 4.1 update 1 or just 4.1

    mine just refused to install stating it was an incompatible O/S
    Both i assume as we had VC 4.0 on a Server 2008 R2 Server

  19. #14


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    ok. I'll try and tackle it again on Monday, not that I don't have enough else to do....

    thanks all.

  20. #15


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I have a Follow up Question:

    I downloaded VWMare-VIMSetup-all-4.1.0-345024 which is (apparently) 4.1 U1 vcentre.

    I tried to install on 2008R2 64bit but it says only it will only install on:
    xp 64 bit
    2003 server 64 bit
    2008 server 64bit

    any ideas?

    is 4.2 U1 supported on 2008R2 64?
    Doesn't install on a Domain Controller. My bad for not reading the rules properly.

    VMware KB: Installing vCenter Server 4.1 fails with the error: This product can only be installed on the following 64-bit operating system

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. VMWare Essentials Plus
    By trowland in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th June 2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Learning Essentials for MS Office
    By beeswax in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th February 2006, 08:53 AM
  3. Learning Portal Plus
    By Pear in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th January 2006, 11:34 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd November 2005, 09:38 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th October 2005, 09:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •