+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, CC3 via Thin Client in Technical; With RM Client Connect we can now integrate thin client into our CC3 world so that the students get exactly ...
    Thank Post

CC3 via Thin Client

With RM Client Connect we can now integrate thin client into our CC3 world so that the students get exactly the same desktop, login screen etc. as the rest of CC3.

If I just buy a terminal server I can do this myself but the students will get a different experience than they would if they logged into a fat CC3 station (they would get Windows 2003 instead of XP, software on the server rather allocated etc.)

My question is, RM charge £1000 for the commisioning service which makes the thin client experience the same as the fat client one. I am wondering what they are doing to achieve this and is it something I can do myself and thus save £1000 (assuming I have already shelled out £650 in the first place for Client Connect).

Thank Post

Re: CC3 via Thin Client

@u8dmtm: Have you tried asking them?

You will always get 2003 rather than XP as the desktop but they look pretty much the same anyway if you remove the 'bubbly fisher-price' interface from XP.

I assume that they will install the OS and license server components and then install the RM client components onto the terminal server.

Thank Post

I've got terminal services setup with CC3 in pilot, it's easy enough. I'd rather do it myself so a) my colleagues and I have experience with the setup, b) reduce dependency upon RM, so the impact of a move from C3 is reduced, c) cut out all the resource consuming C3 components.

Thank Post

Does anyone have experience of integrating Sun Ray with CC3?

Thank Post

Yes.

We have a number of school set ups 1 currently running with CC3 and one on the way

Drop me a pm if you need more details

Thank Post

I am running Client Connect here. The user interface the Thin Clients get is almost ideantical to that of Windows XP Fat Clients - just no active desktop so it does not look quite as pretty.

have 25 HP thin Clients connected at the moment as well as 19 RM Fat clients converted to boot from the network (the terminal server has PXE set up so any workstation that can boot from network and will autmatically recieve linux followed by a CC3 log in screen).

This is not something you would be able to set up your self to be honest - it will be an RM engineeer only job.

No doubt you could set up a Vanilla 2003 server but you won't get the CC3 interface and tools on your thin terminals - and keeping a consistent desktop throught the school was my aim.

To be honest I can see far lower total cost of ownership with thin clients as well as being alot easier to upgrade systems in the future. (want to upgrade 50 thin cients? Just upgrade the server and hey presto)

Overall - very happy with it!

Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread