+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, USB drive redirection in Technical; Hey all, We're thinking of setting up thin clients (running windows thin PC) and running RDP 7.1 to connect to ...

Thank Post

USB drive redirection

Hey all,

We're thinking of setting up thin clients (running windows thin PC) and running RDP 7.1 to connect to windows 7 enterprise virtual machines running on a server 2008 R2 hyper-V set up. Now we've managed to get all this working but I was reading about USB flash drives and redirection. According to Microsoft, the only way to get this to work is to plug in the flash drive BEFORE you start the RDP connection. Now we dont really want the students to be able to close the RDP connection completely as they might get confused about which OS they need to use, but in order for the drive redirection to work they are going to have to. I also doubt that the students will remember to plug in the USB drive before they start the connection.

Has anyone else found this is the case and more importantly has anyone found a way around it?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I found that if you create your .rdp file using a Windows Thin PC (and presumably Windows 7 machine) there is an option on the device redirection under drives to redirect "devices which I plug in later" which does what your after.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, having just finished testing this and now building the final system - I would recommend using the Server 08 R2 rdp. You need to licence rds, but it is properly designed for the process you want to do. If you create your rdp file, then yes it is an option - usb and pnp devices.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread