+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, MultiPoint 2011, NComputing U170, and local audio in Technical; Hi all, Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm trying out MultiPoint 2011 with NComputing U170 devices as ...

Thank Post

MultiPoint 2011, NComputing U170, and local audio

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm trying out MultiPoint 2011 with NComputing U170 devices as I once tried with MultiPoint 2010, but there were simply too many issues, mostly with the VSpace drivers. 2011 seems to run a whole lot smoother, and I think I'm ready to call it ready for deployment.

However, there's one odd problem that stops me--the local audio on the main computer no longer works once the U170 drivers are installed and MultiPoint is booted into Normal mode. It works fine pre-driver and in Maintenance mode. The only device is "Remote Audio", which goes nowhere.

I suspect that a USB Audio device would work for the main computer, and might be an easy workaround, but before I go ordering a bunch of USB Audio devices, I'd like to make sure that someone else hasn't run into a similar issue and been able to remap the audio on the main workstation.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I *think* it may only show when you connect to the console/real monitor plugged in but not sure.
    Remote audio is terminals virtual sound card so if the device has audio out it will be redirected there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reardonp View Post
    Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm trying out MultiPoint 2011 with NComputing U170 devices as I once tried with MultiPoint 2010, but there were simply too many issues, mostly with the VSpace drivers. 2011 seems to run a whole lot smoother, and I think I'm ready to call it ready for deployment.

However, there's one odd problem that stops me--the local audio on the main computer no longer works once the U170 drivers are installed and MultiPoint is booted into Normal mode. It works fine pre-driver and in Maintenance mode. The only device is "Remote Audio", which goes nowhere.

I suspect that a USB Audio device would work for the main computer, and might be an easy workaround, but before I go ordering a bunch of USB Audio devices, I'd like to make sure that someone else hasn't run into a similar issue and been able to remap the audio on the main workstation.

Thanks!
    I think your analysis is correct have you posted to the mps microsoft forums?

Ben

Thank Post
    If I wasn't clear, audio works absolutely fine on the U170 devices themselves. The problem is indeed on the computer itself, monitor and audio plugged into the local resources. I had the exact same issues in MPS 2010. Seeing that the U170's audio is considered USB Audio, I'm pretty sure a USB solution would work. I have a USB headset at home that I'll give a shot soon.

I have not directly posted on the MPS forums but I've come across a couple of very similar issues on their forums through Google searches, and only one poster mentioned something about redirecting the audio device, but never had a full answer, it was only theoretical. I'm thinking it's unfortunately just how MPS is coded, and I'm stuck buying some extra devices for the main stations. It's still cheaper than buying another USB station.

Thank Post
    Did you ever get this resolved?

From my understanding on WMS 2011 you will need to run any USB devices for the host through a USB hub in order for it to be recognized and function on the host. Then you can assign it through the WMS session manager. The reason for this is the host session is seen as a remote session also.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    I am able to run USB audio through the local USB hub (which is built into the Dell monitors we order for these solutions). Works fine with my test headset, which is a logitech gaming headset I have from home. I can't seem to assign the device to the station manually, but it appears under the station when I plug it into the monitor's hub along with the keyboard and mouse. That's a good enough solution for me--we generally have to buy headsets for these solutions anyways so I'll just have to switch some of them out for USB headsets.

Not sure if I was clear, but we're currently using this solution in small pods--3-5 stations per pod. Working out relatively well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread