+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Microsoft Windows ThinPC - anyone? in Technical; Has anyone lese taken a look at Micorosft Windows ThinPC yet? From the website at Windows Thin PC by Microsoft ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Windows ThinPC - anyone?

Has anyone lese taken a look at Micorosft Windows ThinPC yet?

From the website at Windows Thin PC by Microsoft | Windows Enterprise ...

Windows Thin PC enables customers to repurpose existing PCs as thin clients by providing a smaller footprint, locked down version of Windows 7.
    Personally, I think it looks just like a basic install of Windows 7. The 'small footprint' is over 3GB of hard disk space before trying to strip anything out. Unless they are talking about memory footprint... my VM has 512MB of RAM and it is running fine but I can't say I've tried to run Windows 7 with 512MB RAM. I guess without running any apps it would work.

I was hoping for a convenient method of locking down the system... it looks like you're left to do that via GPO though.

At the present time, Windows Fundamentals with RDC 7.0 seems to offer more than enough functionality in a much smaller footprint.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the main advantage is that if you're using a Hyper-V based VDI system, ThinPC will be able to take advantage of all of the RemoteFX goodness that comes with it whereas anything running on an XP based system won't.

Otherwise I think you're broadly correct.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Norphy is right, as far as I can see. You can run full Windows 7 with 512MB of RAM but it does bog down really quickly with that little.

Thank Post
    Just tested this this moring on a eeepc 4g laptop (4gb ssd) installed and left 700mb, could have never done this on a full version of Windows 7

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of trying it on an old pc which I can't for the life of me figure out how to get thinstation working on it, although suspect it might be to old to cope with it

Thank Post
    Have a few trial clients for testing, but we struggle to find a specific use-case, beyond having an OS to use that is lightweight and works with all the existing system management tools - but then isn't the point of a thin platform being as small a footprint as possible, most of the time we want an OS capable of running either RDP, PCoIP or HDX protocols and little more, the problem with Thin PC is .... it's still a little thick, when compared to the likes of thinstation or a wyse OS...

Hardware Requirements below for reference:

• 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86)
    • 1 GB RAM, 4 GB available hard disk space
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or later version driver

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Using it in our test environment at the moment and its performing rather well. I do agree with @Ric in some ways though FLP was easier to configure to auto logon, launch RDP etc. I will be posting up all our setup on my blog tomorrow. I had to do some custom scripting and jigging to get it playing nicely. There is still one bit that is bugging me - the timeout on the logon screen. Ive got it sorted for now by having the RDP running as a unkillable taks in kiosk/shell mode. It just keeps relaunching the RDP file if it closes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does this work for the timeout issue?
    Windows 7 Woes: Remote Login Timeout | NComputing

Thank Post
    I've started to look at Windows Thin PC here, just as a side project.

The feature that is looking interesting at the moment is the "enhanced write filter", its a feature from their embedded versions.

While the documentation says office apps and such are not to be installed, I have installed office, added computer to the domain, updated it all and enabled the filter. The end result is a near indestructable netbook for use by people that break the unbreakable in normal conditions. I dont think we will ever move forwards on the idea, it is a nice thing to keep at the side for if something like that is needed in future. (Thinking of "cybercafe" style desktops)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, an update. It works a treat, and ive updated my blog with how ive got it set up.

On the logon timeout issue - will have a go at that and let you know. What Ive done is set the WTPC to autologon, and changed the shell to be RDP, and set it to run in kiosk mode using a third party free app. This makes the process unkillable (and make sure you gpo disable task manager)... all that happens is when the session is not logged in the client will keep cycling. May not be too pretty, but it works fine.
    Last edited by TheScarfedOne; 8th July 2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added some extra info

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @TheScarfedOne

Do you get prompted about the RDP file and the publisher and do your drives auto mount (or are you not automounting USB drives)?

I had a quick play (admittedly not in a huge ammount of detail) at the end of the week but kept getting prompted about the publisher of the rDP file and memory pens wouldn't automount (but I do need to go back and play properly)
    Last edited by Cache; 9th July 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    On the logon timeout issue - will have a go at that and let you know. What Ive done is set the WTPC to autologon, and changed the shell to be RDP, and set it to run in kiosk mode using a third party free app. This makes the process unkillable (and make sure you gpo disable task manager)... all that happens is when the session is not logged in the client will keep cycling. May not be too pretty, but it works fine.
    That is horribly resource intensive on your terminal server. You are better having a single icon on the desktop named Logon... click it and the logon window appears... much better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    That is horribly resource intensive on your terminal server. You are better having a single icon on the desktop named Logon... click it and the logon window appears... much better.
    It isn't very resource intensive at all - we have 80 thin clients behaving in this exact manner and the resources used before anyone logs in is barely even noticeable.

Thank Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but where did you download WTPC from, I cant seem to find it on the link provided.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but where did you download WTPC from, I cant seem to find it on the link provided.
    I thought the only way you got access to WTPC was when you had a volume licence agreement with MS. Somewhere on your agreement pages on the MS site I think you will find the product, under Software Assurance I think.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

16. Thanks to bodminman from:

CHR1S (20th October 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast