+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Microsoft Windows ThinPC - anyone? in Technical; Didn't think of the obvious thing! Thanks Ill check there....

Thank Post
    Didn't think of the obvious thing! Thanks Ill check there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, WTPC is in Volume Licencing Service Centre, under Software Assurance Benefits.

Thank Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, can anyone assist further with getting a ThinPC install to function more as a true thin client?

Thank Post
    Does anyone have a working link to Shelly and how to use it aswell? I can't seem to find anything online?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    I have uploaded a copy here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danielrostron View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, can anyone assist further with getting a ThinPC install to function more as a true thin client?
    Define 'true thin client'? Thin clients come in all sorts of forms - with things like App-V having application virtualisation but local internet explorer, or a full shell replacement style so you just end up with the RDP connection only, or anywhere inbetween.

The way I set ours up was to create an account, setup an rdp connection shortcut, put it on the desktop, configure as desired, including using local policy settings to restrict things, and make it auto-logon to that account. You could also use something like Deep Freeze to further lock it down too.

Thank Post
    Arthur - thanks for the upload Is there any documentation anyway as to how I actually use Shelly?

localzuk - I was thinking more towards a full shell replacement so that it would be easy for end users to log on to a server.
    I've managed to get the machine to auto login with a domain account through GPO, and have also got MSTSC to open as the shell instead of Explorer but I'd prefer it if the MSTSC that opened was from a custom RDP file I have created. I tried to specify the RDP file in the 'Custom User Interface' GPO but it doesn't seem to want to open it.

I'd like to incorporate Shelly so that if the user closed the RDP window it would re-open - and also give some sort of ability to shut down the machine altogether at the end of the day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danielrostron View Post
    Arthur - thanks for the upload Is there any documentation anyway as to how I actually use Shelly?

localzuk - I was thinking more towards a full shell replacement so that it would be easy for end users to log on to a server.
    I've managed to get the machine to auto login with a domain account through GPO, and have also got MSTSC to open as the shell instead of Explorer but I'd prefer it if the MSTSC that opened was from a custom RDP file I have created. I tried to specify the RDP file in the 'Custom User Interface' GPO but it doesn't seem to want to open it.

I'd like to incorporate Shelly so that if the user closed the RDP window it would re-open - and also give some sort of ability to shut down the machine altogether at the end of the day!
    You should be able to use a vbs script instead of mstsc - so you could have the script launch mstsc with a shortcut .rdp file.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You should be able to use a vbs script instead of mstsc - so you could have the script launch mstsc with a shortcut .rdp file.
    From the GPO? I did try specifying a VBS file for the Custom User Interface GP but it didn't seem to want to load that.

This is the VBS script I had (found it online and modified it slightly)....

Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    shell.Run "mstsc.exe /multimon C:\EB.rdp", 1, true
    shell.Run "logoff"
    C:\EB.rdp being the custom RDP file I'd setup. (would it be possible to have that read from a network location?)
    Also does the mstsc.exe need to be a full path like "%windir%/system32/mstsc.exe...." or is just mstsc.exe OK?

Does that look right? I stored the script in a network share and pointed the GP to it but it didn't seem to play ball, it loads up the mstsc.exe client fine when I just specify the path of mstsc.exe in the GP, but not when I put the VBS script path in.
    Last edited by danielrostron; 20th December 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12