+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V backup using Hyperoo? in Technical; We're considering some server virtualisation and part of the process is looking at backup and recovery options. Has anyone here ...
    Thank Post

Hyper-V backup using Hyperoo?

We're considering some server virtualisation and part of the process is looking at backup and recovery options. Has anyone here used Hyperoo (Hyper-V Virtual Backup Software - Hyperoo for Hyper-V backup? It looks a decent product at a good price (unless I'm missing something)?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Seems a good price, it's a CDP style backup solution.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks. Hopefully someone who uses it will post a comment?

Thank Post
    Looking at the FAQ's for it says that you only need 1 backup licence per physical server no matter how many vm's that server is running.

I guess if the data store hosting your vm's is connected to your physical hosts via iscsi and appears to the host as a drive then the software can back everything up.

Ben

Thank Post
    Exactly; it looks a really good product, but I can't find anybody who's using it or a review on the web. It seems like a really good solution for schools where budgets are tight.

Thank Post
    Being honest, we have not had great feedback, we have one school that flipped from Hyper-V to VMware on the basis of compatible and reliable backup software. Rumour is that the built in Hyper-V backup console is on the way in the next release, which will annoy some backup vendors as folk expect people to go with the advance API model VMware has. This is one of the problems with Hyper-V at present, the third party support just isn't quite there yet - this will change over the next few years, but it is driving people across to the Tier 1 vendor -VMware.

Thank Post
    Andrew is that feedback in response to Hyperoo?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Andrew is that feedback in response to Hyperoo?

Ben
    Yep, it reminds me a lot of what was vRanger, later became Vizioncore vRanger and is now known as Quest vRanger, it does the basic stuff ok, but is very unreliable.

As VMware endorsers we are naturally pessimistic of Hyper-V and it's 'ecosystem' of support partners and services at present, it's just not in the same league as VMware.

However, stick with it if you like it or see a benefit, our predication, by Q1 2012, there will be a myriad of vendors providing a robust a decent solution around the technology - Veeam will be the first decent third party agent, followed up quickly by the usual suspects.

But, if you wanted advice to stick with a vendor for the here and now, it would be VMware as the hypervisor and Veeam or vRanger as the backup technology, unless you have money to burn where it would be Symantec as the backup vendor

9. Thanks to andrew-virtusolve from:

altecsole (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I will try and keep this as non salesy and bipartisan as possible! If its case studies or access to users running this in particular environments, just let me know. We have plenty of IS providers, insurance companies and even banks using the product, so message me if you need any more information in particular.

Martin.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew-virtusolve View Post
    unless you have money to burn where it would be Symantec as the backup vendor
    Very true... to upgrade our licensing to use Backup Exec VM agents was double the cost of Veeam Essentials Plus and that's without the yearly support!

Tbh if you have Hyper-V use DPM, that's the main advantage of going with it, that you can have a complete MS solution (and is dirt cheap on campus license as well)

I didn't like the idea of a full Windows install as the hypervisor so we stuck with the VMWare route and Veeam for backup

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperoo View Post
    I will try and keep this as non salesy and bipartisan as possible! If its case studies or access to users running this in particular environments, just let me know. We have plenty of IS providers, insurance companies and even banks using the product, so message me if you need any more information in particular.

Martin.
    To be honest, I'm always wary of a website that does not publish its address & phone number and only has a PayPal option for payment. Without suggesting that you have any fraudulent intent, but if I wanted to rip off consumers I would design a website very much like yours!

Waggers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperoo View Post

Martin.
    @Hyperoo Hi Martin,

Your location here says you are in the uk? The hyperoo website has pricing in $ so I assumed it was a us operation?

Can you clarify that for me please?

Thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    If your looking for cheap reliable backup software for Hyper-V I would look at Altaro Hyper-V Backup

I read couple popular blogs by some Microsoft MVP (hyper-v.nu & Aidan Finn) and this software was reviewed their with positive results.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Veeam Backup & Replication for Hyper-V is due to be released later this year, so that's another option.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwalnuts View Post
    If your looking for cheap reliable backup software for Hyper-V I would look at Altaro Hyper-V Backup

I read couple popular blogs by some Microsoft MVP (hyper-v.nu & Aidan Finn) and this software was reviewed their with positive results.
    I'm a couple of days into a 30 day trial with Altaro and I must say it's looking quite promising.

Altaro is another of those companies who don't seem to want to publish their address on their website. However, it's ran by David Vella - he used to be part of GFI team.

Waggers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast