+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Xen Advice needed in Technical; I have been experimenting with some virtualisation options and began using Xen 5.5 as it seemed to offer the most ...

Thank Post

Xen Advice needed

I have been experimenting with some virtualisation options and began using Xen 5.5 as it seemed to offer the most cost effective way of pooling my two new ( 2nd hand ) Dell 2950 along with my new Dlink SAN.
    I want to be able to migrate servers between the dell hosts which I can do but I also want to be able to store snapshots on the SAN in case of a server failure.
    The problem I have just encountered is with my file server which I have set up with a 1.2Tb iSCSI target with a bunch of shares for teachers, pupils etc.. When I try to snapshot the VM it seems it will only allow it to store it on the host machine HDD which is a RAID one pair of 15k SAS drives which are only 73Gb so no way will they take a 1.2Tb drive .I actually don't want to snapshot the iSCSI target as it is already backed up to our NAS but I do want to be able to bring the VM up and down if required but cannot seem to be able to snapshot the VM without ALL of its drives.
    It seems like I should have configured the SAN differently but how - I followed the manufacturers advice for this configuration ?
    Or do I just need to spring for a license to enable me to move the snapshots where I want?
    Look forward to your kind words as always

Thank Post
    Not used 5.5 for ages as on 5.6 FP1 but I m sure you can tick the volume you want, will check tomorrow

Thank Post
    Sorry I am also on 5.6fp1 , slip of the keyboard or early senility!
    I would very much appreciate a pointer in the right direction!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread