+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, SSDs and VDI in Technical; Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage... VDI, 100% Affordable Virtual ...
    Thank Post
    Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage...

VDI, 100% Affordable Virtual Desktop, Windows on iPad, MS & Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | Kaviza.com

I can't quite figure out Microsoft's stance on VDI... initially it appeared they were only given the virtualization platform and partners would do all the management and presentation layer but now they come up with this...

Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrastructure eBook

Looks a bit clunky but works thus sidestepping the partner products... makes you wonder which way it will go...

I wouldn't use desktop drives in a server generally, unless you can have them set up in such a way you can lose a few without impacting the service

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 7 and 2008 R2 are basically the same OS. They even have the same version numbers.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage...
    Just about to suggest the same - we've got Kaviza kit here and works great with our 15k local storage SAS drives - the UK guy for it is also very intrested in using SSDs for VDI and we've talked about it a few times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just about to suggest the same - we've got Kaviza kit here and works great with our 15k local storage SAS drives - the UK guy for it is also very intrested in using SSDs for VDI and we've talked about it a few times.
    What was the outcome of these "Discussions" - out of curiousty and no I am not a cat

Thank Post
    Am I right in thinking you've got dedicated servers for the Kaviza boxes?

Once we get our server virtualisation out the way I want to look into it more closely, especially now it's got HDX. Does it support 1:1 desktops as well as pooled ones?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Am I right in thinking you've got dedicated servers for the Kaviza boxes?

Once we get our server virtualisation out the way I want to look into it more closely, especially now it's got HDX. Does it support 1:1 desktops as well as pooled ones?
    We do - we've got 2x HP Dl165 G7s for the 'network' and then a single (soon to be a second) HP DL385 G7 for the Kaviza kit - all local storage no SAN.

As far as our discussions the general idea is that it would work and potentialy work very well (aparently they do on site demos with a SSD powered laptop) but the only thing is - SSDs are still (in the grand scheme) very new and the long term effects of using them in such a manner are unkown. So for all we know in 3 years time the SSDs you bought could have fried themselves because of excessive wear.

Thank Post
    We do - we've got 2x HP Dl165 G7s for the 'network' and then a single (soon to be a second) HP DL385 G7 for the Kaviza kit - all local storage no SAN.

As far as our discussions the general idea is that it would work and potentialy work very well (aparently they do on site demos with a SSD powered laptop) but the only thing is - SSDs are still (in the grand scheme) very new and the long term effects of using them in such a manner are unkown. So for all we know in 3 years time the SSDs you bought could have fried themselves because of excessive wear.
    Not that it helps with the wear of the SSD's as you have mentioned but OWC as I mentioned above do a raid version of there SATA 2 SSD's, not sure how much use that is or will be ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

£2k every 3 years? I can live with that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Think SSD's come with a 3 year warranty so would that be covered or not ?

Thank Post
    Would love to have your budget

If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though

Thank Post

If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though
    If there is one that covers SSD's I would be interested to see, all I can keep thinking of is the Samsung SSD youtube video with 24 RAID'ed SSD's with the 2gbps read

With SATA 3 - I presume you would only need 4 SSD's to get the 2gbps read performance assuming you had a decent RAID card that supported 6gbps SAS with the said sas to sata cables?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If there is one that covers SSD's I would be interested to see, all I can keep thinking of is the Samsung SSD youtube video with 24 RAID'ed SSD's with the 2gbps read

With SATA 3 - I presume you would only need 4 SSD's to get the 2gbps read performance assuming you had a decent RAID card that supported 6gbps SAS with the said sas to sata cables?
    Sorry don't have one about SSDs (yet at least!)

What if I were to put you in contact with Nigel @Kaviza here in the UK - he knows his stuff and has been keenly following SSDs on virtual desktops for a while.

14. Thanks to jamesfed from:

mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well, it'd either be that or replacing suites of computers. And we buy all in one computers (due to massively constrained space). So 35 x £700 every 4 - 5 years like the moment...

Thank Post
    Well, it'd either be that or replacing suites of computers. And we buy all in one computers (due to massively constrained space). So 35 x £700 every 4 - 5 years like the moment...
    35 computers would only be one large room or one room and a few spares ?

Thank Post
    Sorry don't have one about SSDs (yet at least!)

What if I were to put you in contact with Nigel @Kaviza here in the UK - he knows his stuff and has been keenly following SSDs on virtual desktops for a while.
    That would be great Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast