+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, SSDs and VDI in Technical; Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage... VDI, 100% Affordable Virtual ...
  1. #16
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage...

    VDI, 100% Affordable Virtual Desktop, Windows on iPad, MS & Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | Kaviza.com

    I can't quite figure out Microsoft's stance on VDI... initially it appeared they were only given the virtualization platform and partners would do all the management and presentation layer but now they come up with this...

    Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrastructure eBook

    Looks a bit clunky but works thus sidestepping the partner products... makes you wonder which way it will go...

    I wouldn't use desktop drives in a server generally, unless you can have them set up in such a way you can lose a few without impacting the service

  2. #17

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Windows 7 and 2008 R2 are basically the same OS. They even have the same version numbers.

  3. Thanks to localzuk from:

    mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

  4. #18
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Check out Kaviza, interestingly taken over by Citrix but the whole idea is of local storage...
    Just about to suggest the same - we've got Kaviza kit here and works great with our 15k local storage SAS drives - the UK guy for it is also very intrested in using SSDs for VDI and we've talked about it a few times.

  5. #19

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just about to suggest the same - we've got Kaviza kit here and works great with our 15k local storage SAS drives - the UK guy for it is also very intrested in using SSDs for VDI and we've talked about it a few times.
    What was the outcome of these "Discussions" - out of curiousty and no I am not a cat

  6. #20
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just about to suggest the same - we've got Kaviza kit here and works great with our 15k local storage SAS drives - the UK guy for it is also very intrested in using SSDs for VDI and we've talked about it a few times.
    Am I right in thinking you've got dedicated servers for the Kaviza boxes?

    Once we get our server virtualisation out the way I want to look into it more closely, especially now it's got HDX. Does it support 1:1 desktops as well as pooled ones?

  7. #21
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Am I right in thinking you've got dedicated servers for the Kaviza boxes?

    Once we get our server virtualisation out the way I want to look into it more closely, especially now it's got HDX. Does it support 1:1 desktops as well as pooled ones?
    We do - we've got 2x HP Dl165 G7s for the 'network' and then a single (soon to be a second) HP DL385 G7 for the Kaviza kit - all local storage no SAN.

    As far as our discussions the general idea is that it would work and potentialy work very well (aparently they do on site demos with a SSD powered laptop) but the only thing is - SSDs are still (in the grand scheme) very new and the long term effects of using them in such a manner are unkown. So for all we know in 3 years time the SSDs you bought could have fried themselves because of excessive wear.

  8. #22

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    We do - we've got 2x HP Dl165 G7s for the 'network' and then a single (soon to be a second) HP DL385 G7 for the Kaviza kit - all local storage no SAN.

    As far as our discussions the general idea is that it would work and potentialy work very well (aparently they do on site demos with a SSD powered laptop) but the only thing is - SSDs are still (in the grand scheme) very new and the long term effects of using them in such a manner are unkown. So for all we know in 3 years time the SSDs you bought could have fried themselves because of excessive wear.
    Not that it helps with the wear of the SSD's as you have mentioned but OWC as I mentioned above do a raid version of there SATA 2 SSD's, not sure how much use that is or will be ?

  9. #23

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    We do - we've got 2x HP Dl165 G7s for the 'network' and then a single (soon to be a second) HP DL385 G7 for the Kaviza kit - all local storage no SAN.

    As far as our discussions the general idea is that it would work and potentialy work very well (aparently they do on site demos with a SSD powered laptop) but the only thing is - SSDs are still (in the grand scheme) very new and the long term effects of using them in such a manner are unkown. So for all we know in 3 years time the SSDs you bought could have fried themselves because of excessive wear.
    £2k every 3 years? I can live with that...

  10. #24

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    £2k every 3 years? I can live with that...
    Think SSD's come with a 3 year warranty so would that be covered or not ?

  11. #25
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    £2k every 3 years? I can live with that...
    Would love to have your budget

    If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though

  12. #26

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Would love to have your budget

    If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though
    If there is one that covers SSD's I would be interested to see, all I can keep thinking of is the Samsung SSD youtube video with 24 RAID'ed SSD's with the 2gbps read

    With SATA 3 - I presume you would only need 4 SSD's to get the 2gbps read performance assuming you had a decent RAID card that supported 6gbps SAS with the said sas to sata cables?

  13. #27
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If there is one that covers SSD's I would be interested to see, all I can keep thinking of is the Samsung SSD youtube video with 24 RAID'ed SSD's with the 2gbps read

    With SATA 3 - I presume you would only need 4 SSD's to get the 2gbps read performance assuming you had a decent RAID card that supported 6gbps SAS with the said sas to sata cables?
    Sorry don't have one about SSDs (yet at least!)

    What if I were to put you in contact with Nigel @Kaviza here in the UK - he knows his stuff and has been keenly following SSDs on virtual desktops for a while.

  14. Thanks to jamesfed from:

    mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

  15. #28

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Would love to have your budget

    If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though
    Well, it'd either be that or replacing suites of computers. And we buy all in one computers (due to massively constrained space). So 35 x £700 every 4 - 5 years like the moment...

  16. #29

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Well, it'd either be that or replacing suites of computers. And we buy all in one computers (due to massively constrained space). So 35 x £700 every 4 - 5 years like the moment...
    35 computers would only be one large room or one room and a few spares ?

  17. #30

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,811
    Thank Post
    3,327
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Sorry don't have one about SSDs (yet at least!)

    What if I were to put you in contact with Nigel @Kaviza here in the UK - he knows his stuff and has been keenly following SSDs on virtual desktops for a while.
    That would be great Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SSDs - which one?
    By j17sparky in forum Hardware
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 3rd June 2011, 01:18 PM
  2. SIMS server - SQL 2008, SSDs, recommendations
    By 3s-gtech in forum Hardware
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th April 2011, 03:50 PM
  3. Ulteo VDI
    By wesleyw in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th November 2010, 03:17 PM
  4. VDI
    By karlieb in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd July 2009, 11:32 AM
  5. VMWare VDI
    By gshaw in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th November 2008, 11:21 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •