+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Show more than one ESXi server in vsphere console? in Technical; Hi, We have a full VMware setup with vCenter etc. We also have a couple of standalone free ESXi servers. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries

Show more than one ESXi server in vsphere console?

Hi,

We have a full VMware setup with vCenter etc.

We also have a couple of standalone free ESXi servers. Is it possible to show these in the same console window without opening separate windows please?

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Yes, it can be done. You need to setup - and this is from the top of my head - a datacentre. I give it my school's initial and then add all my standalone hosts to it by their IP address.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Yes, it can be done. You need to setup - and this is from the top of my head - a datacentre. I give it my school's initial and then add all my standalone hosts to it by their IP address.
    Something to add on i have no more licences for hosts on vCenter. So i dont think it could come under that.

Thank Post
    I think the answer is no, you can't add Free ESXi to vCenter.

Free/unlicensed ESXi (VMware vSphere Hypervisor) can't be managed by vCenter Serve due to a licence restriction. (Management API's are closed)

vCenter Server also has licence limitations, dependent on edition purchased.
    • Essential edition of vCenter Server is to manage the Essential bundle only.
    • Foundation edition of vCenter Server can only manage 3 ESX/ESXi hosts, but can be upgraded to Standard edition.
    • Standard edition of vCenter Server is not licence limited.

HTH

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dont want it to go under vCenter, i would like it to be separate from Vcenter. The server will be on the same level as the Vcenter name if you get me. I will like it to be open as well as vCenter in one window.

Thank Post
    You can't open them in the same single window as your vCenter view, by design you need to open them separately, but you can open as many copies of the vsphere client as you like in parallel, means you are restricted to using the windows task bar to flick between them though. The client when initially launched before you connect to a server is just a launcher that then loads the app components depending on what you are connecting to - so a vCenter will open up all the additional vCenter views, connecting to an version 3.5 ESX host will open the older version of the client (2.5). I guess it would be relatively easy to unify views in a similar manner to Remote Desktop Connection Manager by Microsoft for multiple RDP sessions, but there is not that much benefit really.

In essence by design you are prevented from having a nice unified view unless you are licensed under vCenter

7. Thanks to andrew-virtusolve from:

FN-GM (31st May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The server will be on the same level as the Vcenter name if you get me. I will like it to be open as well as vCenter in one window.
    Not sure I do, but that could be me

So could I rephrase the question as. "You would like a single VMware vSphere Client to manage vCenter controlled ESXi servers and multiple ESXi (free) standalone servers, within the same window ?"

If so the answer is no.

If I've gone off on a tangent just ignore me, as my brain is a little frazzled tonight.

Andy

9. Thanks to apaton from:

FN-GM (31st May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Not sure I do, but that could be me

So could I rephrase the question as. "You would like a single VMware vSphere Client to manage vCenter controlled ESXi servers and multiple ESXi (free) standalone servers, within the same window ?"

If so the answer is no.

If I've gone off on a tangent just ignore me, as my brain is a little frazzled tonight.

Andy
    Dam I was hoping that wouldnt be the answer, never mind

Thank Post
    Darn, I'd love if I could do this. I have our full vCentre setup for production stuff and then an ESXi box that runs the client I build my Windows 7 images from and a few test machines. It's a pain having to have two clients running :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi me again. Does anyone know of any alternate software that will let me manage all my free ESXi hosts in one console please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hi me again. Does anyone know of any alternate software that will let me manage all my free ESXi hosts in one console please?

Thanks
    How many hosts do you have? If its three or less with no more than 2 processors in each, you could go the VMware Essentials Route, less than 500 for the licensing and you get vCenter Management of the hosts which includes the vStorage API for backup.

PM me if you want more details, its pretty much all we sell to most schools on the basis that normally 6 processors over three hosts will host more than the average school will ever need if config'd right

Thank Post
    Hi Andy.

So the vStorage API allows you to backup the VMs without shutting them down? Can you do this through the VSphere interface or do you need to buy extra software?

This sounds like just what I am after. Can you PM me costs for 3 x dual CPU servers. I actually have 4 x dual CPU servers am I right to assume essential only covers 3 or can it be extended to 4 if you pay more?

Cheers

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Hi Andy.

So the vStorage API allows you to backup the VMs without shutting them down? Can you do this through the VSphere interface or do you need to buy extra software?

This sounds like just what I am after. Can you PM me costs for 3 x dual CPU servers. I actually have 4 x dual CPU servers am I right to assume essential only covers 3 or can it be extended to 4 if you pay more?

Cheers

Butuz
    Butuz,

You can run multiple vSphere Essentials in parrallel, so you can buy another 3 servers worth by buying two lots of licensing but they will run as effectively two separate installations. The vStorage API does allow this, but you still need a third party application to interface into it such as vRanger or Veeam.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread