+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Error Loading Operating System When Importing Into ESXi in Technical; Hi, I have a Windows XP Virtual Machine on ESXi box 1. I am trying to export this and import ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries

Error Loading Operating System When Importing Into ESXi

Hi,

I have a Windows XP Virtual Machine on ESXi box 1. I am trying to export this and import this into ESXi box 2. ESXi box 1 is in a V-Center setup and ESXi box 2 is a standalone server.

I exported the virtual machine by selected the powered off virtual machine > File > Export > Export OVF Template.

I then imported into box 2 by File > Deploy OVF template.

When the import has finished i get "Error Loading Operating System"

The virtual machine is Windows XP and the ESXi Hosts are running 4.0

ESXi Box 1 is HP ProLiant DL370 G6
    ESXi Box 2 is Dell Poweredge 2950

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 4th May 2011 at 06:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Try using VMware converter or even copy the VM files over using something like Veeam FastSCP

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    ESXi Box 1 is HP ProLiant DL370 G6
    ESXi Box 2 is Dell Poweredge 2950
    Is one intel and one AMD? i think in the past that you couldn't migrate vm's easily between the two on esx - although i may have totally made that up!! or they may have fixed it. but i havn't used esx in nearly 2 years!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    Try using VMware converter or even copy the VM files over using something like Veeam FastSCP
    I will give that a shot

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Is one intel and one AMD? i think in the past that you couldn't migrate vm's easily between the two on esx - although i may have totally made that up!! or they may have fixed it. but i havn't used esx in nearly 2 years!
    I know the Poweredge is Intel im pretty sure the HP is as well i shall check.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I think that is only to do with live fail over due to the differing cpu extentions etween the two systems. Should not effect a manual, cold transfer. Hows the link between them, could it have corrupted during the transfer and are the both running the same version of ESXi, maybe its using a newer unsupported feature in its VM setup not supported on an older version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hows the link between them, could it have corrupted during the transfer and are the both running the same version of ESXi, maybe its using a newer unsupported feature in its VM setup not supported on an older version.
    How do you mean the link between them? They are on the same LAN but the hosts are not linked using a virtual center server. They are bot running ESXi 4.0.

I will try a new export tomorrow in the event its some how got messed up.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think that is only to do with live fail over due to the differing cpu extentions etween the two systems. Should not effect a manual, cold transfer. Hows the link between them, could it have corrupted during the transfer and are the both running the same version of ESXi, maybe its using a newer unsupported feature in its VM setup not supported on an older version.
    That could well be in - i knew it was something like that but couldn't remember!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do you mean the link between them? They are on the same LAN but the hosts are not linked using a virtual center server.
    I just meant rubbish WAN connection or decent LAN connection, still worth a re-export to test. I'd also look in the settings of the VM on the new host before you boot it to see if it is using anything weird or special that could be causing issues like VT-d on a non VT-D processor. ESX can be a little thick about such things in my experience, part of the reason I am a Hyper-V fan.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh right sorry. They are on the same LAN connection, both servers are sat next to each other on the same switch. The workstation i am doing the exports from are on the same LAN but another switch.

like VT-d on a non VT-D processor
    Im not a VMware expert myself. Not sure where that is so i will do my best to see if can find it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh right sorry. Im not a VMware expert myself. Not sure where that is so i will do my best to see if can find it.

Thanks
    Don't get to hung up on finding it specificly, it may only show up on hardware 1-2 years old as it is quite new and I was just using it as an example of a setting that may exist that would be out of place. Just look for stuff that may cause issues, random extentions, hardware redirects (usb etc) that might be tripping over other VMs or the system itself.

edit: vt-d is an intel cpu/motherboard extention for hardware redirection that lets you redirect something like a whole GPU to a VM directly. A rather cool feature that Hyper-V is yet to support.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th May 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did a comparison of the original VM and the new one but couldnt see anything different. Will have another check tomorrow.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Are you trying to make a copy and run both at the same time or are you trying to move the VM outright on to the new server?

If moving downloading the existing VM onto a workstation and uploading to the other server always seems to work.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you verify that the OVF is good by pulling it up in VirtualBox before doing the import? It'd at least help narrow down where the problem's coming up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Are you trying to make a copy and run both at the same time or are you trying to move the VM outright on to the new server?

If moving downloading the existing VM onto a workstation and uploading to the other server always seems to work.

Butuz
    Its a powered off machine on box 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Can you verify that the OVF is good by pulling it up in VirtualBox before doing the import? It'd at least help narrow down where the problem's coming up.
    What do you mean please?

I have tried to do another export of the same virtual machine and it fails this time. I tried with another and that exported fine and i am importing that into box 2 as we speak. Will see what happens. Then if that doesnt work i will try converter.

Does anyone have another other ideas please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean please?
    If you download VirtualBox to a workstation, it should be able to open and run the OVF if the export is good. If that's the case, then it's the import that's causing the problem. If it won't work in VirtualBox then it's likely something to do with the export rather than the import - particularly if the export failed on the second try.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast