+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, CentOS 5.6 Guest on ESXi 4.1 Host unable to connect to internet or internal network in Technical; Hi, Thank you in advance for your help. I am very new to Linux and ESXi. Any help will be ...

Thank Post

CentOS 5.6 Guest on ESXi 4.1 Host unable to connect to internet or internal network

Hi,

Thank you in advance for your help. I am very new to Linux and ESXi. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm setting up a lab environment at home. I was able to complete the ESXi installation on the hardware (DL580 G3 w/ 4 x 3.0 Xenon Processors and 16 GB RAM). This server only has 1 active NIC. I was also able to provision a CentOS 5.6 virtual machine.

I can connect to the host using vSphere so I'm assuming the network connectivity at the host level is ok.

I ran into issues when I tried to access the internet from the guest. I wanted to download and install VMWare tools on the guest. When opening the network configuration dialogue in the CentOS GUI eth0 shows as Inactive. I confirmed that the guest is configured to use DHCP and IPv6 is disabled at the guest and host.

Are there any configuration tasks that I need to perform to activate the network after a CentOS installation?

I initially thought the problem was the lack of a 2nd NIC but after reading several forums online it seems that I should be able to have the VM Network and Management Network on the vSwitch (which uses the singles NIC).

I have enclosed a screenshot of the vSwitch configuration.

vSwitch Configuration.jpgvSwitch Properties.jpg

Thank Post
    I re-created the virtual machine from scratch and the issue was somehow resolved. For other people that run into this issue I selected IPv4 and IPv6 support during the CentOS installation (even though IPv6 is disabled at the host level). This is the only thing I did differently and somehow it seems to have fixed the issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread