+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Network problem with Hyper-V to VMWare server in Technical; Dear all, I have just converted a Hyper-V server to a VMWare server (Windows 2008R2). I used the latest converter ...
    Thank Post

Network problem with Hyper-V to VMWare server

Dear all,

I have just converted a Hyper-V server to a VMWare server (Windows 2008R2). I used the latest converter and imported it into vSphere Client which I have running on a single server with the free license at the moment.

The import worked fine and I booted the server, it's is on a vlan so I setup a new virtual switch and assigned a network card to it on vlan 20. Turned the network card on for the machine and can see its connected in the configuration\networking part of the vSphere client.

I consoled to the server and found the network card was set to DHCP so I put the static IP back on. At which point the server said that the IP was assigned to another card the Hyper-V management card but that this was removed and did I want to move the IP address to the new card, great I thought so I clicked yes! Only problem is I can't ping the server and the server can't ping anything else not even its default gateway. Has anyone got any ideas why this would happen its the first time I have converted a Hyper-V machine and I'm stuck

Thanks
    FB

Thank Post
    FB,

I don't think this is a direct Virtualisation issue, however I think its a Windows 2008 has an issue with missing & new virtual NIC device.

Try select "No" when setting IP address also look at Error message when you try to set an IP address on a network adapter may help you resolve the issue.

HTH

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanks apaton... new development...

On another note I forgot to say/didn't think yesterday the server is on a different vlan and I think this is why I can't ping it as I have since converted another vmachine and it works fine!

I found a option on the esxi server to set the network adapters to vlan 4095 to let it access all vlans, is this the right things to do??? Also am I opening the other servers on the default vlan up to the traffic on the other vlan as I don't want traffic going between the to?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've found when importing machines its best to remove all the old hardware - as it does sometimes cause it to get in a tizz

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    START DEVMGMT.MSC
    then View->Show Hidden Devices
    and remove all the greyed out hardware

5. Thanks to Domino from:

FatBoy (25th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Domino it hasn't helped with the pinging problem but there was about 20 devices to un-install!!!!! I do like keeping things tidy so it has made me very happy!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Thanks apaton... new development...
    I found a option on the esxi server to set the network adapters to vlan 4095 to let it access all vlans, is this the right things to do??? Also am I opening the other servers on the default vlan up to the traffic on the other vlan as I don't want traffic going between the to?
    Thanks
    Setting VLAN to 4095, I've never tried it, but it doesn't sound like the right thing to do.

The vSwitch configuration can become complex with VLANS and I don't know how your Network switches are configured, try a creating a simple configuration.
    Create a new vSwitch with a single NIC on the correct subnet. (No VLAN config)
    Change the win2008 VM to use the new vSwitch.

Then test again, might help resolve if its a Windows or VMware configuration issue.

Andy
    Last edited by apaton; 25th February 2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Tried that didn't work but just fixed the problem!!!!

Left the switch alone and moved the network cable to another port setup the vswitch again and didn't tag it on vlan 20 and it worked! Just got to do a bit of testing and I should be ok

Thanks for the input all

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread