+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XEN - Increase Storage in Technical; We have XenServer setup here, and the VM's are running from iSCSI SAN. The LUN the VHD's are on was ...

Thank Post

XEN - Increase Storage

We have XenServer setup here, and the VM's are running from iSCSI SAN. The LUN the VHD's are on was only 100gb to get up and running. I installed the OS, and now happy that things are running I want more space on the LUN. So, I went in to the Dell Storage Manager for the SAN and gave the LUN more space.

However, in Xen it still sees that the LUN only has 100gb, instead of the 300gb it should now have. Anybody got any ideas how I can get Xen to pick up the changes, preferably on the fly without having to turn off the VM's?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @Hightower:

You will probably have to create another LUN with the new size and move all the VMs onto that then delete the old LUN I think off the top of my head (It is early morning and I hav'nt had coffee yet).

Or I feel you may have to restart both SAN and Xenserver host.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:

You will probably have to create another LUN with the new size and move all the VMs onto that then delete the old LUN I think off the top of my head (It is early morning and I hav'nt had coffee yet).

Or I feel you may have to restart both SAN and Xenserver host.
    Found an article on Xen forums which I'm trying now - will post up the link if it works.

Thank Post
    This article worked a treat:

CTX120865 - How to Resize a Storage Repository after Changing the Size of an LVM-based Storage - Citrix Knowledge Center

Followed the instructions for 5.5, and then rebooted the host. Can now see new sized LUN. Shame the VM's need to be down for the duration but all in all it only took about 10 minutes, and it's not like we're resizing LUN's every day is it

5. Thanks to Hightower from:

bossman (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    @Hightower:

What version of Xenserver are you running?

Thank Post
    @Hightower:

What version of Xenserver are you running?
    The latest I believe - 5.6.1 FP1 or something along those lines

Thank Post
    We will be upgrading during the hols when we open up the dynamic fail-over through the fundamentals license we acquired last week for 3 hosts. Looking forward to it.

Got full school platform migration to do over the 9 days half-term plus above so @webman n me rather busy at the moment.

Thank Post
    We will be upgrading during the hols when we open up the dynamic fail-over through the fundamentals license we acquired last week for 3 hosts. Looking forward to it.

Got full school platform migration to do over the 9 days half-term plus above so @webman n me rather busy at the moment.
    Good good, how much did the fundamentals license cost per host? That will allow you HA won't it? Does it also include dynamic memory too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Hightower, do you mind if I ask what SAN device are you using, what network connectivity it has and how many VMs you run from it? Just thinking about the future here.

Thank Post
    @Hightower:

We got the Advanced licenses around 400 each.

Had to buy pretty quickly through Ramesys (Capita) who passed on to third party.

I really bought for dynamic failover but will have other stuff besides will let you know when we get it all up and running next week.

Also bought 5 year SSL cert which was a bargain at 399 from Globalsign through SchoolsICT excellent service I may say also highly recommend

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Hey Hightower, do you mind if I ask what SAN device are you using, what network connectivity it has and how many VMs you run from it? Just thinking about the future here.
    We just bought a Dell MD3200i with 3 x 500GB drives in RAID 5, so we have about 930GB usable at the moment. 9 spare slots to increase capacity for future. Got an absolutely belting price from Dell Education for it. We only have it with 4 NIC's at the moment, on one controller, but you can get it with 2 controllers if desired. At the moment, while I'm configuring on my desk it is connected directly from Xen host to SAN. However, I plan to move this so we utilise the NICs so Port 0 goes through a different switch to port 1 etc. We're running only 2 VM's off it (for now), but both these are DC's/File Servers/Print Servers etc etc so will be very heavily used.

Can't give you any feedback on performance though as only had the SAN a week, and it's only running 1 user/computer at the moment lol.

Bossman has a good setup - might be best asking him

Thank Post

Have fun with that, I really liked Xen, but it was at that point I gave up and moved to VMWare ESXi as I couldn't get over half our servers to P2V with Xen, YMMV though.

Thank Post
    I really liked ESXi, but the licensing just frazzled my head. I looked at Hyper-V and was really excited about what it said it could do for nothing, but when it won't talk to my SAN after days of trying it's failed in my eyes. So I turned to Xen. First impressions are really good, and the licensing is easy/cheap to upgrade to have HA functionality. It's a winner so far in my eyes.

Thank Post
    We just use the free version of ESXi, does what we need and we're runing 26 virtual servers now

Thank Post
    We are starting out with the basics, but with a view to upgrade to high availability (automatic migrations in event of physical failure) and load balancing. ESXi was never an option to me because the licensing is far too confusing. As Bossman has said, about 400 a server with Xen and the job is a good 'un. No "you'll need two of these, one of these, a dozen of these etc etc".

OT, but how do you utilise APC UPS's with Xen @Bossman?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast