+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XEN - Increase Storage in Technical; Yes I know what you mean about the ESXi licensing, part of the reason we've stuck with the free version. ...

Thank Post
    Yes I know what you mean about the ESXi licensing, part of the reason we've stuck with the free version. The extra bells and whistles are nice, but in 18 months of having virtualised servers I haven't found any need for them.
    I would've liked to stick with XEN, it was just the P2V conversion that went pear shaped for us with it. After over a week of trying, I stuck ESXi on and got them all converted in a couple of days. From my experience, if you are planning to do some P2V conversions then test them at an early stage, especially the more tricky ones with service partions, RAID, multiple volumes etc, oh and any Linux servers you may have as they're fun as well. It's well worth playing with some of the other P2V utilities, I got a couple of servers to transfer to XEN by doing a two stage P2V using the VMWare conversion utility.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Have fun with that, I really liked Xen, but it was at that point I gave up and moved to VMWare ESXi as I couldn't get over half our servers to P2V with Xen, YMMV though.
    Xen P2V has worked great for what we've done so far. We even virtualised our SIMS server just as a test, and it worked fine.

When doing Linux ones, I prefer to set up a fresh install with the correct Xen-compatible Kernel (to get a proper paravirtualised install) and just migrate services/data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Hightower:

Hav'nt looked at that yet (Give me a chance hehe! pretty hectic here at the mo ;D) but have a guy coming to show off VDIs and he will know, if he doesn't then he will know a guy who does.

He is from a company called "Blue Chip" so arranged for some costings of 25 concurrent licenses for Citrix VDIs and he will be out on the 8th March to discuss.

I would think it will have to be a third party piece of software installed on the hosts which integrates with the APC UPSs for a clean shutdown when the power has been cut for a certain time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Xen P2V has worked great for what we've done so far. We even virtualised our SIMS server just as a test, and it worked fine.

When doing Linux ones, I prefer to set up a fresh install with the correct Xen-compatible Kernel (to get a proper paravirtualised install) and just migrate services/data.
    That's great, sounds like they've made big improvements to the tools over the last 18 months since I tried it. I may have just been unlucky, I only had 2 weeks to do it all and was really under pressure to get it finished, so had to try some drastic options as I only had a few days left. Good advice with Linux btw.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    teejay: Yes, this was only about 6-8 months ago. Thanks

Hightower: How do you get xenserver and associated vms to gracefully shutdown after power failure? - Server Fault

6. 2 Thanks to webman:

bossman (17th February 2011), Hightower (17th February 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12