+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VDI in Sussex or the south-east? in Technical; Hi All - new to the forum - excellent resource! I've been asked to conduct a feasibility study into desktop ...

Thank Post

VDI in Sussex or the south-east?

Hi All - new to the forum - excellent resource!

I've been asked to conduct a feasibility study into desktop virtualisation for our school. Just wondering if there are any kind souls in or around Sussex or the south-east who have a setup that I could have a quick look at?

Any help/offers greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

S

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Just Pm'd you

3. Thanks to glennda from:

eightiesboy (11th February 2011)

Thank Post
    I'll drop you a PM. We're based in East Sussex and are running XenDesktop 5 here

5. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I'll drop you a PM. We're based in East Sussex and are running XenDesktop 5 here
    Ah i thought you where one of them northen people! nice to see the southerns appear

7. Thanks to glennda from:

Soulfish (11th February 2011)

Thank Post
    We are in E.Sussex, 1066 region - vmware view with RM cc3 here. More than happy to show you around.

9. Thanks to kcymer from:

Thank Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but it's the same request, different county. Anyone gone Virtual in Hertfordshire? I really need to start getting my head around it and planning for it, and would like to have a first-hand look at what I'm going to need in terms of hardware and software. Oh yeah, and money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but it's the same request, different county. Anyone gone Virtual in Hertfordshire? I really need to start getting my head around it and planning for it, and would like to have a first-hand look at what I'm going to need in terms of hardware and software. Oh yeah, and money.
    Hi yes you would be welcome to come see us - we are in Epping on the Herts/Essex border PM me your details.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Hi Soulfish,

Many thanks for your kind offer - I'm just across the West Sussex border. Seems I can't reply to your PM until I have 5 or more posts... Could you possibly PM me your email addy?

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcymer View Post
    We are in E.Sussex, 1066 region - vmware view with RM cc3 here. More than happy to show you around.

Hi kcymer

Many thanks for your kind offer - I'm just across the West Sussex border. Seems I can't reply to your PM until I have 5 or more posts... Could you possibly PM me your email addy?

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    If you need to borrow any thin client hardware please PM us...

We're always happy to loan h/w to schools

No paperwork etc is required for us to ship you an evaluation terminal to test in your own environment...

The M80 supports VMware Viewer, Citrix XenDesktop and the more common RDP(RDS) / ICA(XenApp)

Matthew@axel.com

Thank Post
    PM sent mate.

Kris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    If you need to borrow any thin client hardware please PM us...

We're always happy to loan h/w to schools

No paperwork etc is required for us to ship you an evaluation terminal to test in your own environment...

The M80 supports VMware Viewer, Citrix XenDesktop and the more common RDP(RDS) / ICA(XenApp)

Matthew@axel.com
    Hi VMware Viewer?

You mean VMware Vie i assume.

The axels dont actually support HDX or PCoIP do they? So i assume they use a lot more bandwidth over the network?

Looking to put it into our school in the next few years - got to have either HDX or PCoIP

Thank Post
    Hi Paul

The key performance enhancement in HDX is a specific data-compression between the server and client (not the usual compression, this compression is different based on jpeg). The other key performance factor is
    MMX (multi-media extensions) - where 16 bit operations are quadrupled up and processed in parallel in the (64 bit) MMX part of the processor.

Axel support the above in our latest firmware

There are other aspects of HDX which are not so relevant to thin clients that we don't support

PCoIP is an interesting product, not sure how much is it being used (comments anyone ?). It began life as a hardware product (both server and client ends), and VMware commissioned the owners (Terradici) to write a
    software version. So what was being done in bespoke hardware is now being done in software, using the server's hardware. Terradici are now marketing hardware to put back in the server to off-load this load, so I assume
    the load is not insignificant...

It would be interesting to hear if anyone is using PCoIP and what issues they have had in scaling and bandwidth. I get the impression it is talked about lots and used little...

Microsoft will soon release their RemoteFX, which Citrix have confirmed they too will support - combined these two companies will be a pretty formidable force.

Looking at your timescale you should possibly include this on your shortlist.

Apologies for hijacking the OP - In my defence I am answering a specific question raised above....

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Hi Paul

The key performance enhancement in HDX is a specific data-compression between the server and client (not the usual compression, this compression is different based on jpeg). The other key performance factor is
    MMX (multi-media extensions) - where 16 bit operations are quadrupled up and processed in parallel in the (64 bit) MMX part of the processor.

Axel support the above in our latest firmware

There are other aspects of HDX which are not so relevant to thin clients that we don't support

PCoIP is an interesting product, not sure how much is it being used (comments anyone ?). It began life as a hardware product (both server and client ends), and VMware commissioned the owners (Terradici) to write a
    software version. So what was being done in bespoke hardware is now being done in software, using the server's hardware. Terradici are now marketing hardware to put back in the server to off-load this load, so I assume
    the load is not insignificant...

It would be interesting to hear if anyone is using PCoIP and what issues they have had in scaling and bandwidth. I get the impression it is talked about lots and used little...

Microsoft will soon release their RemoteFX, which Citrix have confirmed they too will support - combined these two companies will be a pretty formidable force.

Looking at your timescale you should possibly include this on your shortlist.

Apologies for hijacking the OP - In my defence I am answering a specific question raised above....
    Thanks - some good bits to bear in mind.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul121 View Post
    Hi yes you would be welcome to come see us - we are in Epping on the Herts/Essex border PM me your details.
    PM sent with my thanks and my e-mail address.......look forward hearing from you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast