+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V won't start in Technical; I've installed 2008 R2 Ent Ed on a HP server and installed the Hyper-V Role. When I try starting one ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V won't start

I've installed 2008 R2 Ent Ed on a HP server and installed the Hyper-V Role. When I try starting one of the VMs I get the following:

The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running. The following actions may help you resolve the problem:

1) Verify that the processor of the physical computer has a supported version of hardware-assisted virtualization.

2) Verify that hardware-assisted virtualization and hardware-assisted data execution protection are enabled in the BIOS of the physical computer. (If you edit the BIOS to enable either setting, you must turn off the power to the physical computer and then turn it back on. Restarting the physical computer is not sufficient.)

3) If you have made changes to the Boot Configuration Data store, review these changes to ensure that the hypervisor is configured to launch automatically.
    This server used to run ESXi and it had no troubles with running VMs whatsoever, so why is Hyper-V not playing ball?

Before anyone asks, Intel Virtulisation is enabled in the BIOS prior to when ESXi was installed. Again, it is still enabled but Hyper-V doesn't want to work.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    is it a hp g5 by any chance?

they need a few options in the bios tweaking (been a while so i cant remember the extact options but the virtualization support on the cpu is off by default and iirc something else on teh same page

Thank Post
    Hyper-V: Will My Computer Run Hyper-V? Detecting Intel VT and AMD-V - Taylor Brown's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs will tell you if your board is capable.

Also worth checking the services to make sure theyre running, I'm not sure if they're set to manual initally.

G5 instructions...Now, to fix the issue:
    Reboot your server and go into the BIOS by pressing F9. Go to "Advanced options > Processor Options" and enable these two sub-options:
    "No-Excecute Memory Protection" and
    "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology"
    Save with F10.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread