+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V on 2008R2 Server - Network Driver in Technical; Hello, I know that once you have installed an OS on hyper-v, you can use the "Insert Integration Services Setup ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V on 2008R2 Server - Network Driver

Hello, I know that once you have installed an OS on hyper-v, you can use the "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" to install things like the network drivers etc.

But how can I obtain the hyper-v network driver before the OS is installed? Is there a way of getting these before?
    The reason I ask is for network boot disks and such like, they won't run unless they have the driver already installed on the disk. And I can't do this unless I have the driver, which gets automatically installed once I insert the integrations services disk via the virtual machine connection window.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You just need to add a legacy network adapter to the VM, it only runs at 100mbit but the drivers are built into almost everything that you can install.

Thank Post
    Ok, thanks. I can understand how this works.

But say I want to create a virtual RM CC4 windows xp system.
    I would create my virtual machine, boot to cd (insert the RM build disk), the RM installer would run and then it would get to a stage where it would report it cannot connect to the CC4 server. When you check diagnostics, it is not obtaining an IP due to no driver.

If I were to use legacy network adapter, the vm would just try and boot to network, and if it did this, it would not read the boot disk which holds the instructions of where to look for cc4 etc.

Do you think it is possible to do what I am trying to do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the lecacy adapter will only try to boot from PXE if you tell it to just set the boot order to cd first, you can just have it boot off the CD as required and it will find the lecacy nic and use that to grab what it needs off the network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, the lecacy adapter will only try to boot from PXE if you tell it to just set the boot order to cd first, you can just have it boot off the CD as required and it will find the lecacy nic and use that to grab what it needs off the network.
    Hi, thanks. I gave this a go, but it is still saying no network adapter in diagnostics. Maybe CC4 is just not able to do this. I just thought it would free up a machine if I could just stick it on our hyper-v system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Odd, the legacy adapter has drivers built in to Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7. If it is not detecting it CC4 must have broken it, have you tried removing the other NIC from the VM and made sure the virtual nic has access to your network. It suprises me that it would not work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread