+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Beginers Adivce Please - Comparisons... in Technical; Dear all.. I write in the hope you can offer some help, I am looking at a thin client solution ...

Thank Post

Beginers Adivce Please - Comparisons...

Dear all..

I write in the hope you can offer some help, I am looking at a thin client solution as part of a new building in our school. I have a rudamentary understanding of the architecture, we are after a thin client that can run sessions on a main (dedicated) server offering what appears to be a Windows 7 environment. Each login in, linked to our active directory structure on the main server will be able to run an array of programs varying from Office Suite programs to internet browsing. The teacher will want to be able to monitor and control if neccessary each client etc.

I have been looking at the Wyse C10LE as one option. Another consideration is the nComputing L300. Both of these were trialed against each other in Portugal recently by the government to wina contract for all government sectors. nComputing have won the contract and consequently are very popular hear at the moment. The Wyse machine came across as a more stable piece of equipment when I saw them demonstrated at BETT 2011.

I do hear rumours on the web about update problems causing down time on nComouting units but do not know how recent this is. I am trying to get a demo unit of each to let my network manager have a look at.

So the big question...

Any Advice? Recommendations? Things to Avoid? We are after a solution that guarantees user happiness and will back it up with a new server dedicated to the job.

Many thanks, Tony.

Thank Post
    Tony,

Did Xavier Miguel make contact, assuming he did, and you want to "butter him up" ask him about his son, who he's very proud of, as he plays for one of the top London teams... (The one that is mostly foreigners and not Chelsea!)

Matthew

Thank Post
    We have just finished our first room with 15 Ncomputing clients in it. We have them running off of two dual core workstations running windows xp. the maximum users at a time for windows xp is 10 per host. We use insight to monitor the students and with a little work we had it up and running just fine with the clients. With these low performance workstations i was still able to have 7 clients watching youtube videos at the same time. The Processors were maxed but never crashed. After about 7 the video started to be a little slugish, but still didnt crash. We are very happy with the performance of the Ncomputing clients even though there is not a lot of documentation on them. we just ordered a few servers to run ESXI on and run multiple instances of Windows 7 and XP on. and about 50 more Ncomputing clients.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread