+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Microsoft SoftGrid in Technical; I'm just wondering if anyone is using, has trialled or even seen Microsoft SoftGrid in action at all? My establishment ...
    Thank Post

Microsoft SoftGrid

I'm just wondering if anyone is using, has trialled or even seen Microsoft SoftGrid in action at all?

My establishment currently uses software installed on a central server and then accessed via shortcuts on a shared start menu. We also have various "core" applications installed directly on the school's PCs. Both of these methods have their pluses and minuses but, if what the Microsoft site indicates is true, I should be able to kiss goodbye to the awkwardness of package creation (which never seems to work properly!) whilst improving software performance for the user. Or so it would seem anyway.

Can anyone shed any light on this software?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Microsoft SoftGrid

I would also like to know about this. Especially whether it works with SIMS.net and its legions of tools.

Thank Post

Ooohhh. How do I get it..... Isnt it a bit similar to Citrix? Hopefully a less expensive version.....

Thank Post

Whilst it looks good, and maybe would be OK for desktop PC's it would die on wireless laptops. I've got a copy but never used it, was going to give it an evaluation to see how well it worked, but once i looked more into the way it worked i back off.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by MS Website
    Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization is the only virtualization solution on the market to deliver applications that are never installed, yet securely follow users anywhere, on demand. It dramatically improves IT efficiencies, enables much greater business agility and a superior end-user desktop experience.
    This isn't technically true since Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 now has application streaming. The Citrix offering works offline too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

yeah - same as jboss applications.

Thank Post

Wyse also offer an application streaming system so M$ are lying on that point. That said, neither Citrix nor Wyse are cheaply licensable or addable to my Schools Agreement, hence my question.

Thank Post

any more on this? any one using it in anger yet?

Thank Post

For all those with Software Assurance (or the school agreement) it is free in the Desktop Optimization Pack. I have not tried SIMS, but in theory it should work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

webconnect does something similar as well I believe and cost significantly less than Citrix. I've got a citrix system at our school but I'm trialling webconnect now as it could extend our thin client across the school for considerably less investment.

Wes

Thank Post

I'm coming back to SoftGrid for another look as we have two suites coming to the end of the useful lives. If they could be converted into reasonable thin clients using something like SoftGrid maybe I can save the school a whole load of cash next year....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're using softgrid - not for much yet (mainly just Office 2007)

It's not a replacement for Citrix or Terminal Services so it doesn't let you use low spec hardware with a chunky server. Although it's described as application streaming it's more like "application installation streaming" - ie the first time you click an icon it can take some time for the app to start ("some time" depends on all sorts of things but Outlook 2007 takes about 30-60 seconds). Once it's been installed, the application runs on the local machine so if the hardware you have won't support "application X" then you aren't going to be able to run it using Softgrid.

From then on, the same app will load very quickly because the program has now been cached on your local hard drive.

This also means that it can work over wireless although I'd guess you might want to do the initial stream on a wired network (there is an option to "load all apps") It also has the option to work offline - you can choose if you want this to work or not.

Note that "free in the desktop optimization pack" does not mean free - you have to pay for that pack

The biggest problem I've had is with sequencing applications (capturing them on a master installation ready for straming). Some work well (and a few have detailed notes on the MS web site) but some don't work at all - eg I've been trying to use this for Adobe CS3 (because it's normal installation is a pile of *&^!!% as others here have found!) but I can't get it to sequence properly.

Thank Post

One thing you might want to look at is AppExpress from Endeavors Technologies.

http://www.endeavors.com

This is a streaming technology where applications are published to a central server and delivered to the client computers under control of something called the AppExpress player. Only enough of the application is initially delivered to the client machine to get the program up and running and subsequently more is delivered as and when the user requires extra functionality. As such the local footprint is minimised.

The application appears as if it is actually installed on the client machine with the expected desktop shortcuts and icons. Furthermore the install can be configured to run at different levels of virtualisation allowing anything from full interaction with other programs to totally isolated. There are also extensive administrative tools included for things like access and licensing control.

They have a demonstration website

http://www.stream24-7.com

Where you can try out a range of pre-packaged Open Source applications ranging from games to office and cad software. Registration is, naturally, free and you can lie about your identity.... just like I have here.

Better still you can also download a version called AppExpress Lite which is a fully functional 'free' single server implementation of the same software that is used to run the demonstration website. I say 'free' because the license is set to expire towards the end of May.

At the moment, if you have registered on stream24-7.com then the same username and password will work on the download site at

http://tryitnow.endeavors.com

I hope you find it useful

Thanks

Zed

Thank Post

and you can lie about your identity.... just like I have here.
    Your not the real Zep then ?

What have you done with her?

regards
    Simon

Thank Post

I'm not even the real Zed :-) I just found your forum through Google and decided I'd drop in and SPAM it... }:-)

In a nice way though. It was sort of on topic since the discussion is about Microsoft Softgrid, virtualisation and streaming. Since some of the other available options had been mentioned I thought I'd mention the one I did.

Oh Dear...... ops: Just read the welcome message. Sorry :-(

I don't represent the company, honest.... mumble mumble mumble

If I see a missing Zep I'll mention she is being missed but in the meantime I'll exit stage right :arrow:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast