+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V or VMware? in Technical; Hi all, I'm just putting together the hardware for virtualising our servers and was wondering what software people would recommend? ...

Thank Post

Hyper-V or VMware?

Hi all,

I'm just putting together the hardware for virtualising our servers and was wondering what software people would recommend?

I was going to work with Hyper-V because of the cheaper licensing costs, but was wondering if people had any real world examples or an opinion either way.

Cheers
    Rich

Thank Post
    I would go with VMWare my self over Hyper-V. With VMWare you install its self on a bare machine rather than installing MS and then sticking hyper-v on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I would go with VMWare my self over Hyper-V. With VMWare you install its self on a bare machine rather than installing MS and then sticking hyper-v on it.
    Not entirely true as you can download the free Hyper-V server which installs on bare metal.
    Anyway even if you want to install the full 2008R2 its not too much hassle to tick the box to install Hyper-V.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use hyper-v with clustering support here and its excellent and like you say, cheaper.

5. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Hightower (1st February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HyperV runs on bare metal and the hypervisor loads before the actual operating system. As mentioned above you can run the barebones hyperV core and just install the management console on a seperate machine..

We went HyperV as we were already fully MS licensed anyway

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why not Xen?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Not entirely true as you can download the free Hyper-V server which installs on bare metal.
    Anyway even if you want to install the full 2008R2 its not too much hassle to tick the box to install Hyper-V.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    HyperV runs on bare metal and the hypervisor loads before the actual operating system. As mentioned above you can run the barebones hyperV core and just install the management console on a seperate machine..

We went HyperV as we were already fully MS licensed anyway
    I didn't know you could do that. Is it just a matter of downloading and installing it from Microsoft? This is all part of upgrading the entire network to Server 2008r2 and Windows 7 so I was going to just install a full version of 2008r2 on the servers. Is this not the way you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Why not Xen?
    Fear and misunderstanding I suppose. I presume you are using it? How easy/difficult is it to install, configure and use?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Hyper-V.

Absolutely love it, its revolutionary.

The only problem I have come across is it doesn't work with smoothwall or cachepilot.

Thank Post
    Xen - easy - as easy as VMWare with lots of the features you have to pay for in VMWare included for free.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Xen is just as easy as VMWare (used), couldn't comment on Hyper-V though. The free edition of Xen has more features than the free VMWare. If you have the hardware to use, you have nothing to use by trying it. It's also the better option if you plan to run any Linux servers.

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Hyper-V... Absolutely love it, its revolutionary.

The only problem I have come across is it doesn't work with smoothwall or cachepilot.
    Lol, not that revolutionary then? Considering VMWare/Xen can happily run those?

Thank Post
    Using XenServer Enterprise here very successfully. Great product at a great price. For comparable features from VMWare it would have cost us 4 x the cost in initial licenses . Unfortunately Hyper-V didn't have some of the features we wanted at the time. The latest release of Hyper-V seems better, but not as good/easy to use as the free XenServer product.

Any questions about XenServer feel free to ask

13. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Tricky_Dicky (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our HyperV hosts run 2008R2 Datacenter edition, but have a read of these about the core version:

Server Core Installation Option Getting Started Guide

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...tallation.aspx

2008(r2) core is comparable slightly to a Desktop Vs Server install of a linux distribution, if you have any experience with those..

The core install is command line only, and run via powershell commands, however you can connect to it via MMC from a GUI version of windows..

to be honest, ive not had a play with the core versions of windows yet, might do so this term someteim..

One thing that is the main bind for me at the moment with hyperV, is the lack of passthrough support for USB.

I have my nagios install virtualised on hyperV, and ive got a usb SMS device approved in this years budget. Howver for it to work, Im going to need to migrate nagios onto actual hardware to get the USB support i require..

I believe Citrix and VMWare both support USB passthrough to their virtual clients..

15. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

Tricky_Dicky (21st January 2011)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The main advantage of Hyper-V is its ease of install. As someone already said, it is quite literally is as simple as checking a role box in Windows 2008 R2.

Thank Post
    If price is a constraint go Xen, you get enterprise features for no money.

If you want the best possible solution out there go VMware, you can use the free version of ESXi, but if you want more advanced features and hypervisor level backup you will need the paid version. It doesn't have to be hugely expensive though, you can get the Essentials versions that allow for unlimited virtual machines on up to three hosts and up to 6 physical CPUs for less than £500.

Hyper-V is just so far behind where VMware are - its an easier jump to make if you are so used to Windows, but an inferior product IMHO

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Using XenServer Enterprise here very successfully. Great product at a great price. For comparable features from VMWare it would have cost us 4 x the cost in initial licenses . Unfortunately Hyper-V didn't have some of the features we wanted at the time. The latest release of Hyper-V seems better, but not as good/easy to use as the free XenServer product.

Any questions about XenServer feel free to ask
    What features were missing?

I've heard of the ability for VMware to be able to constantly keep a mirror SAN in another location which sounds amazing, but I just don't think I could stretch to the cost of two complete SANs for the sake of stepping back an hour in time using the snapshots.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast