+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hyper-V or VMware? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew-virtusolve View Post
    If price is a constraint go Xen, you get enterprise features for no money.

If you want the best possible solution out there go VMware, you can use the free version of ESXi, but if you want more advanced features and hypervisor level backup you will need the paid version. It doesn't have to be hugely expensive though, you can get the Essentials versions that allow for unlimited virtual machines on up to three hosts and up to 6 physical CPUs for less than £500.

Hyper-V is just so far behind where VMware are - its an easier jump to make if you are so used to Windows, but an inferior product IMHO
    What happens if you need to go beyond 3 physical hosts?

I thought it would be a lot more than though. What sort of features are cut for the essentials version?

Thank Post
    If you can afford it VMware.

If you cant MS, but lots on here use Xen, I cannot comment on Xen.

Linux support on MS is practically non-existant. VMware also has better MS OS support, storage vmotion, better memory management, memory reclamation, memory compression, memory overcommit, Hot adding of cpu and memory. Dynamic resource scheduling and allocation. Traffic shaping.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 21st January 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Linux support on MS is practically non-existant. VMware also has better MS OS support, storage vmotion, better memory management, memory reclamation, memory compression, memory overcommit, Hot adding of cpu and memory. Dynamic resource scheduling and allocation. Traffic shaping.
    When you say it is virtually non-existant, do you mean it just won't work? So for example, I was going to put a simple CentOS based Webserver on there, is it possible?

I'll be honest with you, most of the things you list look great (those that I understand) but I'm not sure just how much I would use them. Would it be worth paying the extra for it do you think?

Thank you to everyone for the quick and fantastic replies, really interesting to see the different scenarios every one is in.

Thank Post
    So, you install VMWare and the first thing you have to do is install a load of tools on a PC to manage it with anyway!
    With 2008R2 the Host License includes a Guest OS anyway so you might as well install the 2008R2 GUI and anyone can RDP in and manage the Hyper-V anyway!

Yes the VMware footprint is tiny and it takes less time to load but at least 2008R2 will support your HP embedded raid drivers and a bucket of other stuff that VMware throws a hissy fit at!

If youre a fruit cake and have a load of NIX boxes that you want to virtualise you should stick with VMware ESXi if you already have an M$ Licensing agreement then Enterprise Server or Datacentre and Hyper-V is the way to go.

I'd rather save the VMware Licensing money and buy a SAN with the cash I've left over....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    When you say it is virtually non-existant, do you mean it just won't work? So for example, I was going to put a simple CentOS based Webserver on there, is it possible?
    Microsoft only officially supports SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Other distributions will work fine, it just means you won't be able to ask Microsoft for help.

Whichever Linux distribution you choose, you will probably want to install the Hyper-V integration services. For details on how to do this see the links below.

CentOS: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...r2-on-centos-5
    Ubuntu: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_g...n-hyper-v.aspx
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st January 2011 at 04:37 PM.

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

Tricky_Dicky (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Another vote for XEN here I have used this at two sites now and have found it really reliable and has some great features Snap Shotting of VM Servers, Monitoring all the Servers quickly from one Console, Live Migration of VM's, Build one template for a Server, then build other Servers from this templare etc. and much more as well as all these features being available on the free version.I have also found this a great way of developing new funtionality on the Network as you can build a VM Server from a template pretty quickly, test things without causing you problems on other Servers, Snapshot it before making large configuration changes if the changes don't work return it to its previous state.I could go on.

Thank Post
    We use Xen also, easy to install, cheaper than vmware, been rock solid . we also host our virtual desktops (Xendesktop) on the xenserver.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Another XenServer user here, was going to use Hyper-V but decided to go to Xen instead and not looked back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Another vote for XEN here I have used this at two sites now and have found it really reliable and has some great features Snap Shotting of VM Servers, Monitoring all the Servers quickly from one Console, Live Migration of VM's, Build one template for a Server, then build other Servers from this templare etc. and much more as well as all these features being available on the free version.I have also found this a great way of developing new funtionality on the Network as you can build a VM Server from a template pretty quickly, test things without causing you problems on other Servers, Snapshot it before making large configuration changes if the changes don't work return it to its previous state.I could go on.

We use xen few heart in mouth moments when pooling! also with 5.6 and 5.6.1 does it still use 100% same space when snap shoting? how much space does vmware and hyper v user lets a 100GB server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I use linux KVM running on Ubuntu 10.04 using a oracle file system cluster between hosts - runs really well plus you can do live migration between hosts for free. Only thing is you cant get the high availability stuff as it doesnt exist (yet).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use hyper-v here and it works well, epiclly easy to manage and setup also.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also RE linux and hyperV I run many different distros but the main production ones are ubuntu server and gentoo and both work perfectly.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I've always gone for VMWare, I have done a couple of installs of Hyper-V (installing on bare metal systems)

Thank Post
    Hi

It still does use the same space for snap shoting but at the moment it isn't a worry as the SAN has enough storage capacity, and I only usually keep a couple of snapshots of Servers I am making changes to or developing, you can also export the Snap shots somewhere else if you want to keep these, we use a 8TB Buffalo station as that is how we do our backups export to Terrastation then to USB Hardrive for offsite backups, and USB hard disks on rotating basis.

16. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

irsprint84 (22nd January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for info only really ever looked at once, is the export a snapshot you do? are you using specific backup software? I may look at getting a NAS to do this this coming financial year

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast