+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, when to use vdi and when to use basic terminal services in Technical; Fellow Techs, i have jus learnt that vdi is virtualisation at the os level, which means simply virtualising a desktop ...

Thank Post

when to use vdi and when to use basic terminal services

Fellow Techs,

i have jus learnt that vdi is virtualisation at the os level, which means simply virtualising a desktop which resides on a central location, whereas terminal services is basically a group of clients accessing the server's applications etc.

However, when is it suitable to use basic ternminal services as compared to situations needing virtual desktop infrastructure.

i have 25 user network using basic terminals and i presume it would be simpler to use terminla services with axel terminals, or are there any other ideas out there?

-----head spinning----

Thank Post
    Hi Johno,

Normally it falls down to the type of applications you want to run (whether they run in a TS environment), how flexible / restrictive your users' desktop experience will be, & cost (VDI typically relies on separate storage which pushes costs up).

Tell us a bit more about your intended application stack and we'll be able to help you.

Thank Post
    Hi Kmount,

Thanks for showing interest in this,

well i basically have the following applications:

1.microsoft office; including all the component application software excell, word etc.

2. 32 bit pastel accounting software accessed by 4 users

3. 32 bit belina payroll system accessed by 2 users only in the hr dept.

the rest simply use presntation packages and word and excell to do their jobs.

MY current set up is that i have a hp tower with ms 2008 server which controls active directory and domain host controller and a centos linux box that acts as the internet and mail server.

Thank you so much.

Thank Post
    Hi Johno,

I would not look to introduce TS onto the existing DC if I were you I think it will cause you some problems. (It can be done but I wouldn't)

Depending upon the time you have available to investigate this I would firstly look at a 64bit box install of Server 200x (whatever your licensing allows for) and see if your applications (the belina and pastel stuff) work on there before if not backing out and going to 32bit. Once you have the base OS sorted you will want to test the application with multiple users using it simultaneously on the system to ensure it doesn't rely on making silly writes to the C drive that will get broken with multiple people talking to it.

Once you're happy the applications work in a TS environment you can start considering your hardware client options.

For the sake of 25 devices you don't want to take on an additional management server so you could consider some of the following:

* Axel clients, the software to manage them can go onto your existing HP tower and it'll pretty much just work out of the box from there on.

* Could argue the same for above for IGEL, Wyse, HP, etc. - Depends what your needs are from the edge device but Axel would probably do it all for you no problem. (And Mat will supply a demo unit for you to trial this)

* If you have existing PCs you don't really wish to retire you could consider something like Thin Station, LTSP, IGEL UDC which will make your existing PCs behave like thin clients so you still get the benefits of the TS environment (and reduced admin on the physical desktop side)

If you have the cash to spare I'd go with the Axel / some other device as opposed to the asset sweating of existing desktops as you will still have component failure predominantly PSU's, CPU Fans etc which will be less of an issue on a dedicated thin client access device as the better ones tend to not have any moving parts.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    hi Kim,

well thnks alot have all the time in the world to try it out. sounds good

Thank Post
    Cool, give me a shout if you need anything

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread