+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Feasibility and Recommendations(not self recommendations please :)) in Technical; Hello, Would like to hear about your experiences with Thin Computing either with Multipoint Server or 2008/R2 specifically ethernet based ...

Thank Post

Feasibility and Recommendations(not self recommendations please :))

Hello,
    Would like to hear about your experiences with Thin Computing either with Multipoint Server or 2008/R2 specifically ethernet based clients.

What clients are are you using? How many per server and what are your server specs? Do the end users get the similar level of performance than that of a new entry Core I3 system?

How is reliability? Obviously if 1 pc in a lab fails or freezes if up it only effects one user but with potentially 30 people running from 1 it could effect them all?

All feedback is welcome

Robbie

Thank Post
    ...not sure what you mean by "not self recommendations please"

below are some independent recommendations from happy Edugeek thin client users on Axel products....

Axel AX3000 m70 for Lesson Monitor

Tidy Thin Client Installation

They're a friendly bunch (on the whole!) if any are near your I am sure they wouldn't mind a PM/chat....!

If you have a server we can loan a terminal to "play" with

Matthew@axel.com

Thank Post
    What is the RRP on those units. The user must get the same experience as using a new spec I3 system. By this I mean the server we would use would be top of the range but the thin client must be up to display video etc without any "jerkiness" and the whole system must be responsive. It must also be compatible with server 2008 R2

Robbie

Thank Post
    Video is a bad example as thin clients generally don't excel at multi-media applications. What are you wanting to use them for?

Thank Post
    .....Robbie-w - for most applications there will be little if any difference between a thin client and any PC. For applications with video there will be.

If you point your I3 PC browser at say Youtube - it will no doubt run fine. If you take same PC, connect over RDP to a terminal server, and run Youtube from the server's browser it won't be as smooth. The point being RDP introduces a bottleneck, that will impact on "anything" that connects over RDP.
    Citrix's ICA is somewhat better

Multipoint can run over RDP - so would have same implications - but it can also run on other mediums (USB?). Axel only make Ethernet/wifi based products so I can't comment on this - I am sure someone who can will pick up the thread.

For serious multi-media applications - I would recommend PC at this point in time. Very high spec thin-clients may almost match a PC in this respect, but they will cost as much, run the same operating system as a PC, and to all intents and purposes be a PC, but without the flexibility of a PC !
    Last edited by Axel; 23rd November 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Ok I was also looking at the L300 by nComputing their "promo" seems to show it streaming media fine but obviously this was their promo so could be biased

Just looking into the feasibility of this to put together a recommendation to my manager. Generally how are people using these thin clients? 1 PC in a room with these clients attached to, central servers with x amount of PC's per server or VMWare hosted desktops?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread