+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Sun ray 2 thin clients Keyboard Issues in Technical; Hey guys, Just thought i'd put this on here, see if anyone else has hit the same issue we have, ...
    Thank Post

Sun ray 2 thin clients Keyboard Issues

Hey guys,
    Just thought i'd put this on here, see if anyone else has hit the same issue we have, Current setup is a Sun Ray Server (Version 4.1) with 45 sun ray 2 thin clients. Now we have these units boxed away to stop them going walkies or messed with! Now the sun ray administrator points them to a windows 2003 terminal server.

But the issue we have is that the keyboards often stop working, as in totally freeze (if the num lock is on it stays on and wont un num lock as such) and not able to use any keys. Until we then unbox the machine and reset(simple power off and on) it then its all fine! until the next day, It seems to be random and no pattern to it!

The only theory we have at the moment is maybe as we use the sun keyboards (with built in usb ports) that then they remove their usb memory sticks that maybe it removes the keyboard as well from the client , But we have sat there putting in and removing usb sticks all day and can't get it to recreate the issue!

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
    Azz

Thank Post
    Hi,

Lots of questions first.

1) What are you running Sun Ray on top of? Solaris/Linux? Which versions?
    2) What patch levels are you running for SRSS 4.1 / SRWC 2.1.
    3) What firmware are you running on the devices?
    4) Has this recently started happening or has it always happened?
    5) Try pressing STOP + A to restart the Sun Ray rather than unboxing etc to see if that works.
    6) Are you using the windows connector to talk directly to the TS environment or are you using some kind of kiosk script or broker?
    7) Does this only ever happen once logged into windows, does it ever happen outside of Windows?
    8) Have you tried killing the session from the Sun Ray web admin to see if it comes back?
    9) How are you presenting the memory stick to Windows?
    10) Have you logged a support call about this?

EDIT:

I suppose another question if you're thinking it's the Sun keyboard have you tried a non sun keyboard and been able to reproduce it?
    Last edited by kmount; 10th November 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Thank Post
    1. SunOS 5.10 (x86)
    2. How would i know? Most packages under SRP are 4.1_04 or 4.1_50
    3. Firmware: 4.1_50_2008.09.25.12.37
    4. Not a recent issue
    5. Will try that when i go reset them tomorrow
    6. Kiosk Mode (-t 1800 -- -m -b -r disk:USBDRVS=$HOME/USBDRVS servernamehere)
    7. Never seems to happen when the user is logged into windows from what we are aware!
    8. Tried and it doesn't sort the keyboard but the client does connect back.
    9. Its using a script can't remember totally in all honestly was installed by vissensa
    10. No not yet waiting to hear back from vissensa see what they say as they installed the system for us

Btw thanks for the quick reply!

Thank Post
    No worries for the reply.

I shan't stick my nose if if you've got a support partner in place.

Hopefully they will have some ideas.

Cheers,

Kim

Thank Post
    Well i'm more than happy to take any advise/ideas you have! as well in all honestly the company that installed it I'm not too confident with as well the main root partision they made only left them with 6% free off space.... But i am hoping they have some ideas to sort it out!
    And just noticed your edit on the keyboards, And we have one keyboard with the thin clients at the moment which can't take usb sticks at all... and well that hasn't ever needed to be restarted!

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Have you tried leaving a couple of the Sun Rays out of their little boxes? It's unlikely that they will walk and they are pretty indestructable. This would rule out overheating.

I would also disable your magical USB stick script. I don't have one and to my knowledge our Sun Rays (with Sun keyboards) have never suffered this problem.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure its not heat related, when i say boxed i don't mean a very small box and its got plenty of ventilation, and well its really not getting hot in there at all :S and well one that is out of a box just sat in the office has frozen on us before!

But with the disabling the usb script i'd love to but i know for a fact it would cause allot of issues as the sixthform use usb sticks everyday, So i'm hoping we can simply use a different script or something else, to let them use them

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I'm not going to stick my nose in as it's not how we do things but I will offer a few pointers up.

The usb script there looks like a standard one, the use of USBDRVS tells me this from the kiosk config, would get the version checked to make sure it's the latest.

The firmware version should be updated on the Sun Ray as there's been several new versions since the one you're running. (at the same time get the server & other Sun Ray components patched up)

There's potentially in addition to USB a couple of things it could be but I wouldn't bother digging into it too much until the box is patched up to current.

Thank Post
    Yeah we get the same problem with the Sunray. Users say there Keyboards are not working and they have to always be reset. USB only work when they feel like it on ours thats with it plugged into the front of the sun.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread