+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, thin client direct to RDP or MS VDI in Technical; I am currently looking into Thin Client based systems since the majority of my remote users connect to a 2008 ...

Thank Post

thin client direct to RDP or MS VDI

I am currently looking into Thin Client based systems since the majority of my remote users connect to a 2008 based Terminal Services Farm. I am trying to avoid systems that use any proprietary based software (ie: ncomputing, citrix).

The nComputing idea seems to be the one that fits best into what we want, except for the pesky software issue. The best case system is a diskless client that direct network boots into our existing RDP based environment (I understand that a PXE or similar environment will need to be enacted).

Most of the solutions I've seen have embedded Linux or another OS - we would really prefer if clients just booted directly into the TS. Does such a system exist? or will a hypervisor of some type always be required?

We are looking into a VDI solution either using Microsoft's client in 2008 R2 or VMware View (since we already have most of our systems virtualized on ESX hosts) - so if the direct to TS is not possible but there is/are devices that will go direct to a VDI...in which case going to Microsoft's would be preferable.

Thank Post
    any operating system that will run a client will work. My suggestion is to use windows fundementals for pcs, a cut down version of xp, you can also use something like steadystate to prepare the client.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by talion83 View Post
    Most of the solutions I've seen have embedded Linux or another OS - we would really prefer if clients just booted directly into the TS. Does such a system exist? or will a hypervisor of some type always be required?
    However thin your client, you'll need some sort of OS (or, at least, RDP/whatever client) to connect to the TS server / VM image / whatever. This can either be loaded off flash memory on the client (normally a Microsoft-licensed RDP client) or via PXE (often a Linux distribution designed for network booting / thin client usage). Dedicated thin client hardware (Wyse, Axel, etc) will have an embeded Microsoft-licensed RDP client - is that what you mean by "boot directly into the TS"? You shouldn't need to run a hypervisor on the client itself - the virtual machine part of things runs on the server, each client is simply connecting to a separate virtual machine hosted on the server in the same way it would connect to a TS session at the moment.

so if the direct to TS is not possible but there is/are devices that will go direct to a VDI...in which case going to Microsoft's would be preferable.
    Most dedicated hardware thin client terminals use the number of connection protocols they can cope with as a selling point, the more the better, so if you're buying thin client terminals you can get ones that will support VMWare, RDP, and a bunch of other protocols.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Ncomputing solutions such as x series and u series support multipoint server.

Ben

Thank Post
    Not all thin clients have an operating system, Axel have re-written RDP in machine code and embedded directly in the hardware. You power on, and after the DHCP negoitiation you instantly get the server log on screen - (after 4/5 seconds total). There is no Linux or Microsoft code in the device, no local logging on or user accounts, nothing to get corrupted

If you have access to youtube you can see one in action on:

YouTube - Axel thin client technical support booting

This is the M70, the newer M80 is very similar but quicker and supports VDI (VMware, Citrix and MS) and RemoteAPP.

Send me a PM if we can send you one to play with, no obligation or paperwork required....

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    if you went with VMWare View you could use a Teradici based ZeroClient - there are a few manufacturers of these and they're pretty slick.

Thank Post
    Looking at the possibility of jumping into the thin client wave.

Thank Post
    Axel,

I'll be PMing you.

Thank Post
    ...hopefully our US office contacted you and offer a demo.... I am assuming that was your PM (the one from Ohio!)

Thank Post
    That's me.

A rep in Florida called and said he would email some literature and get a m80 sent out for demo. No email as of yet. Here in the states the HP units seem to be most popular.

Thank Post
    Update...
    Got the email and a FedEx tracking number for the M80.
    Fast!!!!

Thank Post
    Put it this way Keinoboy - HP units may be popular but popularity means nothing.

I'd quite happily junk all my HP units if I could. Problem is, HP were the best value at the time.... the time, unfortunately was before I discovered Axel:

1) Cheaper to buy than HP
    2) MUCH Faster to boot than HP
    3) MUCH more powerful than HP
    3) MUCH less nonsense to manage than HP
    4) 1/3 of the electricity costs of HP.

*sigh*

Butuz

Thank Post
    Butuz,

Which model HP do you have? A new school here in Ohio went all HP thin clients and love them.

Thank Post
    They are older model: HP T5135

I thought they were great until I tried the competition and tried living with them for a year or two!!!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Okay,

The new school I mentioned went with the t5740.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast