+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Sims S drive in Technical; I have deployed 4 terminal servers on 2008 r2 and install sims onto them. My sims server is server 2003. ...

Thank Post

Sims S drive

I have deployed 4 terminal servers on 2008 r2 and install sims onto them. My sims server is server 2003.
    when my users logon to a thin client the s drive doesnt always map meaning sims will not load. when i log onto one of the terminal servers i can sometimes browse to the sims server share by dns name sometimes not, so i try the ip address, again sometimes i can connect, sometimes not,
    I therefore created a script that attempts to map the drive firstly by dns, then try fqdn then if those two are unsuccessful then it trys via ip address.

The problem is so intermittent its difficult to reproduce and the event logs simply tell me that the server share is unavailable. I have checked that there isnt a limit to the number of connections to the server share and that the user has rights to the share.

Capita have been as useful as ever and i have logged a call with microsoft.

Has anyone else had this strange issue?

Thank Post
    very odd, as a quick fix I'd consider connecting directly to the database via the connect.ini on the servers themselves and use pulsar directly also - you'd need to update manually but its not too much of an issue.

I'd assume its a DNS issue somewhere along the line, does this issue only show up on the TS servers or do workstations also have the same problem?

edit: another thought - you could also put the DNS name/ip into the local hosts files on the TS servers
    Last edited by Jamman960; 13th September 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes it only shows up on the ts servers, I've been considering allsorts such as perhaps the sims server has reached a set amount of connections and will not accept any more but this can be disproved by the s drive not mapping when theres as little as five connections.

I think i will modify the connect.ini that way the user can connect to the sql instance without looking for an s drive. Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread