+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Setting up Thin Client step by step tutorial in Technical; Hi all i want to set up a thin client network in my friend's office,i might be using WYSE C90LE ...

Thank Post

Setting up Thin Client step by step tutorial

Hi all

i want to set up a thin client network in my friend's office,i might be using WYSE C90LE 1GF for the terminal, with a trial of 50 terminal. Does anyone know the step by step tutorial after i buy the terminal ?
    How many servers do i need?
    What kind of server application i should buy ?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Bantax,

Welcome to Edugeek.

What are the objectives of this deployment and are you hard fixed on the C90LE 1GF (this runs Windows XP Embedded) or are you simply looking to provide thin client access to a Terminal Services type deployment?

You could quite easily fit 50 users on a fairly entry level 64bit 2003/2008 Terminal Server but I'm not sure if this is the route you wish to go.

Tell us a bit more about your needs and what applications you intend on running on this system.

Wyse do some quite good kit but I'm not convinced if the extra cost for the XP Embedded is a sensible option if you are only going to fire to Terminal Services.

Cheers,

Kim

Thank Post
    Thanks Kim,

Im not fixed on using C90LE,what do you recommend? the objective is to minimize IT support on the PC, so all installation and upgrades will be on the server.

The main application on the client will be Ms Office, and the thin client should be able to connect to the internet.

do you know what's citrix and VMware is all about?

What about the license for MS.Office do i need to buy for all the thin client terminal? or just one for the server

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Hi Bantax,

Welcome to Edugeek.

What are the objectives of this deployment and are you hard fixed on the C90LE 1GF (this runs Windows XP Embedded) or are you simply looking to provide thin client access to a Terminal Services type deployment?

You could quite easily fit 50 users on a fairly entry level 64bit 2003/2008 Terminal Server but I'm not sure if this is the route you wish to go.

Tell us a bit more about your needs and what applications you intend on running on this system.

Wyse do some quite good kit but I'm not convinced if the extra cost for the XP Embedded is a sensible option if you are only going to fire to Terminal Services.

Cheers,

Kim

Thank Post
    Hi Bantax,

Axel are the sponsor of this forum and have many successful deployments, I can't comment on Wyse, but would support Kim's view that unless you have specific needs for XP, using XP on thin clients will leave you with most of the issues thin clients are meant to alleviate (local user admin, virus implications, Microsoft Updates cost !, power consumption). You can read what other Edugeek user think of Axel below:

Axel AX3000 m70 for Lesson Monitor

For step by step setup instructions, if you have access to Youtube see this video:

YouTube - Axel thin client technical support booting

or search for "Axel Technical Support" in Youtube for a couple of other videos showing how to set up sound, printers and audio on thin-clients.

Let me know if we can send you a terminal to trial

(I notice you are in Jakarta - the Indonesian Car Tax system (Samsat) is based on Axel Terminals - I went out there a couple of years ago to help set it up all over Indonesia and Kalimantan...!)
    Last edited by Axel; 8th September 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks Axel

I just watched the youtube video, it seem really easy to setup Axel Thin client, and i noticed when axel booted up it shows HP logo, so if i wanted to use Windows Xp and MS Office? i only have to install it on the server? i dont quite get this. So what do i need after i buy 50 of Axel thin clients? how many servers i should get ? and whats the specification, and what mangement software i should use?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Hi Bantax,

Axel are the sponsor of this forum and have many successful deployments, I can't comment on Wyse, but would support Kim's view that unless you have specific needs for XP, using XP on thin clients will leave you with most of the issues thin clients are meant to alleviate (local user admin, virus implications, Microsoft Updates cost !, power consumption). You can read what other Edugeek user think of Axel below:

Axel AX3000 m70 for Lesson Monitor

For step by step setup instructions, if you have access to Youtube see this video:

YouTube - Axel thin client technical support booting

or search for "Axel Technical Support" in Youtube for a couple of other videos showing how to set up sound, printers and audio on thin-clients.

Let me know if we can send you a terminal to trial

(I notice you are in Jakarta - the Indonesian Car Tax system (Samsat) is based on Axel Terminals - I went out there a couple of years ago to help set it up all over Indonesia and Kalimantan...!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bantax View Post
    Thanks Axel

I just watched the youtube video, it seem really easy to setup Axel Thin client, and i noticed when axel booted up it shows HP logo, so if i wanted to use Windows Xp and MS Office? i only have to install it on the server? i dont quite get this. So what do i need after i buy 50 of Axel thin clients? how many servers i should get ? and whats the specification, and what mangement software i should use?

Thanks,
    Hi Bantax,

The terminal takes about 4 seconds to boot. The HP logo/login screen is shown after the terminal has booted and comes from the server the terminal has connected to. (In the video I used a PC for convenience - don't be confused by this - you would be connecting to a server - not an XP PC)

To answer your questions all you would the need is thin clients + server hardware + Windows Terminal Server 2008 (or W2003) + applicable licensing. This would give each user a Windows desktop. You then load whatever applications you need on the terminal server (ie MS Office) and all users will have access.

I recommend you speak to your local Microsoft reseller for licensing confirmation - Axel don't get involved in supplying this and it can be complicated and may well be different in Indonesia than England.

For Axel terminals free powerful remote management software is available from www.axel.com

Axel don't supply servers so we are not the best source of information for server specs - there is information on Microsoft's website - and if you ask the question on Edugeek I'm sure someone will be happy to share their knowledge. The server spec is unrelated to the actual thin client used.

Hope this helps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread