+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Cameyo - Like VMware's ThinApp, but completely free in Technical; Is there a central management tool for this? Something that will let you deploy apps to groups of computers? I ...

Thank Post
    Is there a central management tool for this? Something that will let you deploy apps to groups of computers?

I dabbled with application virtualisation about two years ago with SVS... it worked quite well for some packages, but for others it was a real pain. The most awful thing about it was how the central administration through Altiris was bolted on as an after thought.

Thank Post
    Have we found the Holy Grail of package deployment? :-)

And how did this slip by for the past few months

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Have we found the Holy Grail of package deployment?
    I think there's still room for improvement.

One thing I would really like to see is the ability to add, remove and modify registry entries in the package editor. For the moment at least, I can't use Cameyo because there is no way to delete the random registry keys which inevitably get captured (for example, when you open Windows Explorer once the initial snapshot has been created and it updates various keys which have nothing to do with the package) or manually insert additional registry settings at a later date.
    Last edited by Arthur; 25th January 2011 at 01:57 AM.

Thank Post
    I've been using this off and on for a while now. I like to use it if I can when someone wants to evalutate a piece of software. It works OK but sometimes after I've packaged up an application it'll work on some computers but not on others. I've never had the time to look into why though.

Thank Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cameyo View Post
    joshd,
    I couldn't help reading your post -- I'd be very interested in hearing how we can make your life easier with regards to application updating & patching. If you can privately send me email to cameyo at cameyo.com it'd be great!
    Thanks
    Hi Cameyo

The issue we are having at the moment is in regards to centrally managing and deploying the virtual apps, not with cameyo itself.
    Our initial plan was to have the virtual apps available in a shared folder on our server and get the users to run them from there. The problem however, is that the majority of the small primary schools we look after are moving to an almost entirely wireless based infrastructure due to various reasons. We dont think that wireless is reliable enough, or would have enough bandwidth to be constantly streaming apps like this. Our next step was to a login script that copied the apps down to the machine at login. This has been working ok except that if a machine doesnt run a script for some reason (i.e. not connected to the network on login), the apps dont get copied down blah blah.
    Our current plan is to build a custom application launched along the lines of xialinks. Our idea is that the machines will run a launcher at logon (or when a teacher or students loads it up from a desktop icon), it will then enumerate a list of available apps from a network share and present this in the launcher. The user can then select an app to run which will be copied down on demand when the user clicks the icon. We will also build in a 'cache' system so that once a user has requested an app once, it will always run from a local cached version. We will build in a version checking system so that if we update an app server side, the launcher will detect this and copy down the new version.
    We are not primarily coders, so progress on this might not be super quick, but we think that once it is built it will be quite a good solution.

Any comments? Some of the other commercial app virtualization providers have started providing launchers and streaming apps capabilities, is this something that might make it into the cameyo roadmap? (its a big ask for an opensource project i know!

*update* We are also going to look at combining this with the Windows EWF feature which is kind of like Windows Steady state.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    I set up a clean virtual client, with nothing installed apart from dot net framework (2.0).

I packaged SIMS just to see what happens...

It works! It's just a proof of principle with no real hard testing, but I managed to get SIMS to run on a clean machine (with dot net framework) from a packaged app living on a network share - no local install whatsoever.

Very good work, Cameyo!
    Jin, we also have SIMS client virtualization working with Cameyo! Our plan is to setup a test SIMS environment in our office ( we provide managed services to a number fo schools), then qhen theres a sims update, we can package and test in our office and then deploy the same package to all the schools.

Thank Post
    @joshd
    No need to invent again
    WPKG is the deployment method to use.

Afaik it can pretty much all you want and in practice it will def do the main requirements.
    For instance I use it to deploy portable apps to local drive and run then from there, it can keep track of any updates and can do version checking.

Regards simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 26th January 2011 at 06:20 PM.

Thank Post
    That's no need not nice need

Thank Post
    Then one awkward app I wanted it to work on was the Access Reading Test from Hodder. It loads but can't find the exam oh well. Seems to work with everything else though so I will use it on some stuff. I will manage it with a script for startup/shutdown that looks at a directory for what should be installed on the machines and copy them over. Nice and simple.

Thank Post
    I've created a Wiki page at
    Cameyo - Wiki

where we can all add in what applications we managed to get working with this software and ones that we can't

regards

Simon

11. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

bodminman (15th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Some quick notes, reading this thread:
    - Cameyo 1.6 (currently in Beta) supports registry editing. So Arthur, looks like this may help you.
    - Joshd - thanks for the use-case scenario. Actually Cameyo already does streaming, as part of its design. There is a plan to make a "Cameyo library", and we'll sure keep in mind the scenario you mentioned.
    - SimpleSi - thanks for the Wiki; question: is it possible to obtain a trial / download somewhere just for the sake of testing / fixing?
    Thank you all for the feedback.
    cameyo at cameyo.com

13. 2 Thanks to cameyo:

Arthur (27th January 2011), SimpleSi (2nd February 2011)

Thank Post
    we may decide to start using this for our primary schools. Which means we'll have loads of awful software to package. I'll make sure i update the wiki.

15. Thanks to nathan from:

SimpleSi (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This looks quite interesting and I will certainly be giving it a go especially as I have picked up another school that still has cretatious period technology in it. I shall be attempting to use it to tame the mess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    Hi Cameyo
    Our current plan is to build a custom application launched along the lines of xialinks. Our idea is that the machines will run a launcher at logon (or when a teacher or students loads it up from a desktop icon), it will then enumerate a list of available apps from a network share and present this in the launcher. The user can then select an app to run which will be copied down on demand when the user clicks the icon. We will also build in a 'cache' system so that once a user has requested an app once, it will always run from a local cached version. We will build in a version checking system so that if we update an app server side, the launcher will detect this and copy down the new version.
    We are not primarily coders, so progress on this might not be super quick, but we think that once it is built it will be quite a good solution.
    Novell Zenworks has been basically doing this for many many years. We used to use it all the time before moving to Windows servers. (although you can buy zenworks for windows severs).

Thank Post
    Simon,
    I can't seem to Private Message you, so I'll post my reply to you here:
    ----
    Thank you for uploading the software for me to test.
    I tried it with Cameyo 1.6 (Beta). It works for me, or at least so it seems. But I can't know for sure because there are so many modules in this program.
    I'm uploading my result package here: www.cameyo.com/downloads/Java Media Framework 2.1.1e Numbers Words and Pictures 2.virtual.exe
    Can you please give it a try and tell me if it works as expected. If so, I 'll send you version 1.6 so you can use it.
    Regards (cameyo at cameyo.com)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast