+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Hanging virtual machine in Technical; Created a vm in Hyper-V and installed server 2008R2. Activated the OS, joined the domain etc. But I am having ...
    Thank Post

Hanging virtual machine

Created a vm in Hyper-V and installed server 2008R2. Activated the OS, joined the domain etc. But I am having difficulty adding roles. The progress bar gets about three quarters of the way across with the egg timer turning, then everything stops. In the hyper-v console the machine is showing as using 6% CPU and, after leaving it there for a while, shows 6% critical. At which point I had to reset the machine - it wouldn't let me stop it. There is nothing showing in the event log apart from the unexpected shutdown. I've run check disk, which also shows nothing untoward. Anyone any clues as to what might be causing this please?

Thank Post
    Is this on the domain with the lost FMSO roles? You must have a DC take over the roles or the domain will not function correctly, leading to things like the various role checks to take a very long time. Make sure one DC is also a global catalogue.

Without a DC with the roles, there is very little chance of being able to promote another to take over, you need to use one of the remaining ones which already have a copy of AD.

Thank Post
    Yep it is the same but the roles successfully transferred to the 2008 server, which was already also a DC with GC. Guess I should check that the roles were actually transferred? Is it OK to just leave it trying to install even with critical showing?

Thank Post
    I've not used Hyper-v but I assume the alarm is simply for CPU usage like the vmware ones. It may be ok if it's acutally busy doing something.

Make sure that all 5 roles are transfered, and any other DCs are replicating along with DNS/DHCP being updated to reflect the changes. I assume you have removed the dead server entries from dns and cleaned up the metadata. Also make sure the time service on the DC with the PDC function is running and handing out the time. How are you viewing the server, RDP?

Thank Post
    All entries removed from AD and DNS. I've rebuilt the DHCP on one of the other servers. The 2003 and 2008 servers seemed to be replicating OK with each other, but will check in the morning. Ah haven't looked at the time service will check that as well. RDP to the Hyper-V then use the console to view the server. When at work I can log in to the Hyper-V at the actual machine as it's a tower rather than a rack mount. Does that make a difference? Thanks for the help and pointers, much appreciated.

Thank Post
    You could try setting up RDP access to the VM directly before changing the roles, that way you rule out any issues with the hyper-v console

Thank Post
    Ah yes I see your thinking - eliminate as many causes as possible. If the thing still hangs I can at least use the console to check progress. Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread