+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Cheapish iSCSI SAN in Technical; Hi guys Could anyone recommend me a cheap(ish) iSCSI SAN? We're looking to run around 10 Hyper-V VM's off it ...

Thank Post

Cheapish iSCSI SAN

Hi guys

Could anyone recommend me a cheap(ish) iSCSI SAN? We're looking to run around 10 Hyper-V VM's off it as well as using it for general storage access for students and staff. 4 TB of storage would be the absolute minimum. Probably a budget of 4000.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Openfiler

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look at Overland storage or Drobo. Both are well priced. I have some Overland storage stuff at work here, and it is pretty solid.

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

skell (29th July 2010)

Thank Post
    @localzuk

What spec is your Overland kit and do you run any VM's off it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a SnapServer 520 - but we bought it when SnapServers were still Adaptec.

Can't really comment on the VM side of things - we don't use it for that, and it is now 3 or so years old, so is a bit out of date compared with their latest offerings.

Thank Post
    Anything with lots of disks in it work s pretty well for iSCSI. One thing to be careful of is that you have a really good switch sitting in between your vm servers and the iSCSI box, this is something it's well worth spending some money on. I'm a big HP Procurve fan, but for this role I really would recommend a Cisco as you've got much more control over link aggregation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    For this role I really would recommend a Cisco as you've got much more control over link aggregation.
    It's worth noting that Microsoft does not support link aggregation in Hyper-V environments. In particular, they recommend MPIO for iSCSI instead of using link aggregation on the network hardware.

I've just recently taken delivery of a Dell PowerVault which runs Windows Storage Server. iSCSI and general storage, have 6TB of disks in a RAID5 array in there and it cost me just under 4k. I haven't had it long enough to give it a wholehearted thumbs up (my last iSCSI choice took a few months to bite me on the ass) but so far, I'm liking it. My favourite feature of the week is the built-in ability to set file type restriction policies on particular folders... no more saving .exe files to pupils' My Documents!
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 30th July 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I've just recently taken delivery of a Dell PowerVault which runs Windows Storage Server. iSCSI and general storage, have 6TB of disks in a RAID5 array in there and it cost me just under 4k. I haven't had it long enough to give it a wholehearted thumbs up (my last iSCSI choice took a few months to bite me on the ass) but so far, I'm liking it. My favourite feature of the week is the built-in ability to set file type restriction policies on particular folders... no more saving .exe files to pupils' My Documents!
    Can you give me some information regarding the specification of the PowerVault system. I am looking for something and what you have bought sounds exactly what I need.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Edited due to unauthorised advertising.

Please note you may not use the forums in a commercial capacity unless you are a sponsor, as per the sign up AUP. If you want details on this please contact us.

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 2nd August 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denon101 View Post
    Can you give me some information regarding the specification of the PowerVault system. I am looking for something and what you have bought sounds exactly what I need.
    Not sure exactly what sort of info you're after, but this is the Dell product page for the model I purchased:

PowerVault NX3000 Network-Attached Storage Details | Dell

P.S. Sadly I'm not on commission from Dell so hopefully this is OK with the advertising rules.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 2nd August 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Whatever you buy make sure it has good backup in the event of anything going wrong unless you have the time to spend on doing it yourself with spares on hand.

If it's mission critical then don't scrimp.

We purchased a custom built SAN/NAS from SCL and it's been not working for longer that it has worked, the latest they did to it was fit a new set of drives along with a hardware raid card and I had shelled out for some additional software when we felt openfiler wasn't cutting it and the thing still doesn't work as expected.

So thats just short of 4k we wasted on that.

I'll be looking at getting legal on to it in September.

Ben

Thank Post
    Post edited. You have just joined and have recommended React in your only two posts, this comes only a couple of hours after I have warned off React about using this forum for commercial purposes. I shall be making some quite angry phone calls in the morning.

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 2nd August 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    To be honest i wouldnt risk running most of my infrastructure of a 4000 SAN, presumably this cost has also got to include the cost of some iscsi switches as well which is going to set you back 900 odd for say two 2510-24G Procurves which isnt going to leave you much at all for a SAN which is going to give you the performance and redundancy you need. Do you have anything to backup all this data to or indeed licences for some backup software that will take VM backups etc the cost can add up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can use an dual controller MSA 60 for a two host VM environment this will scale up to 24TB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    To be honest i wouldnt risk running most of my infrastructure of a 4000 SAN, presumably this cost has also got to include the cost of some iscsi switches as well which is going to set you back 900 odd for say two 2510-24G Procurves which isnt going to leave you much at all for a SAN which is going to give you the performance and redundancy you need. Do you have anything to backup all this data to or indeed licences for some backup software that will take VM backups etc the cost can add up.
    If you have a sufficient core switch (with the servers also plugged into it) then I really don't see a need to buy additional switches for iscsi. I did with fibre channel because I *had* to, but today I've just plugged a new iscsi SAN into the core switch. HP 2500s are a bit on the weedy side too, you'd be better off with the 2900s.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast